Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Sector Manager
Location: Yobe (Potiskum)
Job type: Full-time
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Project Manager
>> Click here for Latest Action Against Hunger Recruitment 2020 / 2021 | Action Against Hunger Jobs Vacancies in Nigeria & Career Portal | https://acfinternational.applytojob.com
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Ensure technical implementation of integrated AAH-USA WASH programs in Yobe State:
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Implements, in the framework of projects, the mission’s WASH strategy taking into account the key internal and external documents: AAH charter, 2015 strategic framework, policies (WASH and other AAH sectors), positioning papers (WASH and transversal), national strategies and other specific legal framework enforced by the body/department in charge of WASH issues.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Ensure contractual activities are completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues relating to the management of the WASH program, and inform the SPM accordingly.
- Ensure post-implementation monitoring of AAH WASH structures.
- Support the project manager in developing a Project implementation plan including procurement and distribution schedules of project inputs in line with project logistics/supply chain capacity.
- Responsible for the implementation in the working sites of the safety measures/rules for both AAH teams (including daily hired) and the populations/public.
Objective 2 – To develop AAH understanding of WASH issues in Northern Nigeria:
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Analyze and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions.
- Carry out needs assessments.
- Participate in the definition of the WASH strategy for AAH as well as identification and design of potential new intervention areas.
Objective 3 – To supervise WASH program staff at field bases:
- Supervision of the WASH program staff; induction, follow up, evaluation, and promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation.
- Take part actively in the recruitment and the training of WASH staff, in cooperation with the HR department.
- Supervision of WASH technical staff carrying out activities in the project.
- Overseeing the work of WASH program staff in order to ensure good compliance of activities within the objectives of the mission and of proposals – this includes regular visits to the field sites in order to evaluate achievements; to discuss the constraints encountered, the possible solutions and to make recommendations for current and future programs.
- Identify (and where possible, provide) learning and training opportunities for WASH staff, and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
- Establish performance management of staffs under your supervision through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews, and fair and unbiased evaluations.
Objective 4 – To actively participate in external coordination within the WASH sector at the state level as well as national level as required:
- Participate in WASH Coordination meeting held at LGA and state levels.
- Develop WASH contacts with other NGOs, agencies and technical bodies.
- Assess the feasibility of AAH technical support and guidance to partner agencies and relevant governmental bodies, specifically the RUWASA.
- Support capacity building of AAH WASH partners in the area of intervention.
- Participate in emergency WASH interventions in Nigeria as required.
- Support WASH coordination efforts outside of Yobe as required.
Objective 5 – Support the project manager in developing proper Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting of projects:
- Reporting on attended meetings or training to share with program managers, coordination team as necessary.
- Participate and support the project manager actively in developing M&E and indicator tracking plans for all grants, developing additional M&E tools as necessary to monitor project progress, with support of the M&E team.
- Contribute to appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting.
- Contribute to project monitoring/learning feeds into alterations into the project design.
- Work with the M&E team to identify and incorporate project suitable accountability mechanisms.
- Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to project design as necessary.
- Support the project manager to establish appropriate checks and controls to ensure the quality of WASH construction works.
- Prepare timely and high-quality project reports on project activities in compliance with internal AAH requirements.
Objective 6 – Contribute to the mission’s capitalization and to AAH communication:
- Ensure the compilation on a soft drive of all essential documents related to his/her project (s) and transmits them to the WASH PM and WASH Coordinator who will ensure that technically validated documents are further disseminated.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of capitalization/technical research topics.
- Contribute to the setup of the AAH WASH database in the base.
- Write and submit a handover report when his/ her employment is overusing the AAH format.
- Engineering, Technology or Public Health Degree (Bachelor level or equivalent/higher) in a field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Civil/Building/Geology/Public health).
- Additional training courses specific to WASH in development contexts (and/or Program Management professional certifications, strongly preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 4 years of relevant working experience, in WASH management/supervisory capacity.
- Strong computer literacy, organizational and planning skills, report writing, budget oversight.
- Commitment to upholding AAH’s values, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in the INGO / NGO and humanitarian context.
- Experience managing a team of staff.
Minimum Basic Salary
N308,589 Naira per month
Application Closing Date
Friday, 7th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.