CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Program Officer
Locations: Bama & Dikwa – Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- Under the supervision of the project manager, provide ongoing, regular technical support to implementing field teams to ensure that WASH activities are completed effectively and in a timely manner. Identify challenges as they arise and proactively work to find solutions as required
- Support the project manager in developing and reviewing list of hygiene promotion activities supplies and resources.
- Under the guidance from the project manager, coordinate with the MEAL team to ensure monitoring of activities as required.
- Develop and keep up-to Date work plans in consultation with the project manager and field staff.
- Supervise water distribution through water trucking, works to ensure water quality and quantity provided
- Develop water distribution plans and documents to regularly monitor the distributions and ensure safe access to all women, men, girls and boys to water supply sources.
- Prepare specific workplans and lead on distributing WASH NFI materials; cleaning tools, hygiene kits.
- Ensure that any necessary changes to the project design, outputs are identified and brought to the attention to the project manager in a timely manner.
- Ensure all Hygiene Promotion activities are in line with relevant standards, codes of conducts and humanitarian principles.
- Develop and implement hygiene promotion activities and resources in a way ensuring sustainability and promotes local capacity.
- Effective coordination and integration of hygiene promotion activities with the delivery of CARE SRHR, GBV and others water and sanitation services.
- In close coordination with WASH field teams and project manager, identify key hygiene practices and address them and develop workplan to promote safe hygiene practices.
- Support the project manager in organizing and conducting trainings for field teams and communities on hygiene promotion elements, strategies and methodologies.
- Develop IEC material with support of WASH field teams and project manager.
- Organize regular cleaning campaigns in targeted locations if applicable.
- Lead in establishing WASH Management Committees and ensure effective workplans and regular communications are in place, ensure women participation and taking leadership.
- Participate in Wash Monthly Coordination(WMCs) meetings as required and provide technical support and guidelines to committee members
- Identify training needs for WMCs and raise these suggestions to the project manager and supporting on preparing and conducting needed trainings.
- Ensure effective participation of community members in WMCs meetings.
- Liaise regularly with CARE’s Program Support units to ensure HR, admin, logistics, procurement, and finance requirements are met including PRs, GRNs, financial reporting and other administrative requirements
- Work in harmony with all other project staff and field teams for the effective and efficient delivery of day-to-day WASH activities
- Collaborate with the project manager to ensure gender considerations are fully integrated and promoted throughout the project cycle with a focus on ensuring women are empowered and encouraged to influence decision making around critical WASH issues
- Under guidance from the project manager, coordinate with all stakeholders on the ground to monitor the security situation and report back on any security concerns
- Provide regular updates and reports both verbally and written to project manager on activity progress, priorities and constraints.
- Any other duties, tasks, or responsibilities as assigned by the Program Manager
- Ensuring correct MOUs are in place with relevant State/LGA stakeholders
- Ensuring that all relevant stakeholders have information about the organization’s background, program, objectives, working areas, duration of programs and activities in the field
- Promoting and reinforcing relationships with district and provincial technical authorities
- Under the direction and guidance of the project manager, coordinate with WASH field teams to ensure that the appropriate tools/approaches are used during assessments, particularly WASH rapid needs assessments (RNA), and Knowledge, Multi Sector Needs Assessments (MSNA), Attitude and Practice (KAP) surveys
- Under the direction and guidance of the project manager, Lead with WASH Field Teams to conduct RNAs and to determine priorities and immediate activities.
- Translate assessment tools where required, especially for use by WASH Field teams.
- Support the project manager in data analysis and assessment findings and in the preparation of WASH reports
- Undertake accurate filing and updating of project documents on the CARE shared drive and database.
- Analyzing the baseline study data to determine the underlining needs of the beneficiaries
- Undertaking staff capacity building in the use of mapping tools
- Contributing to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required
- Contributing to the preparation of internal and external reports for the NGO and donors, including expenditure plans and situation reports (SitReps)
- Ensure project documents are filed and saved on the CARE shared drive appropriately and archived accordingly.
Job Responsibility 3
Capacity Building of Field level WASH Teams:
% of time: 15:
- Identify and assess capacity building needs of field staff and provide inputs and suggestion to the Program manager to prepare technical capacity building plan
- Lead WASH training and capacity building for WASH team in relevant areas, including Water Safety Plans (water quality testing and monitoring), hygiene promotion/community mobilisation and gender minimum commitments
- Review and develop appropriate tools to enable WASH team to deliver, monitor, evaluate and report on WASH activities
Job Responsibility 4
MEAL and Reporting:
% of time: 10:
- As part of an integrated team, under guidance from the project manager and MEAL Coordinator, contribute towards monitoring of WASH program activities and achievements against indicators, including drafting and updating of the MEAL workbook in coordination with MEAL team.
- Working closely with the MEAL team, review beneficiary lists and update and analyse beneficiary databases, forms and situation reports
- In collaboration with the WASH team and MEAL team, monitor the impact of the program activities on the beneficiaries
- Fully participate in any learning reviews, ensuring that final recommendations are shared with the relevant team members and eventually incorporated into program activities
- Update and submit 4Ws, situation reports and other information for coordination mechanisms under the direction of the project manager.
Job Responsibility 5
% of time: 10:
- Ensure inputs 4Ws are updated and submitted timely.
- Ensure inputs to CARE situation reports are updated and submitted on time
- Represent CARE in meetings with external stakeholders (other humanitarian actors in Bama, Dikwa and Maiduguri) as needed
- Provide regular updates to the project manager and team on progress, priorities and constraints, both verbally and in written form
- Represent CARE to local partners, governmental and non-governmental groups as requested
- Coordinate with all CARE teams to identify and implement integrated response when applicable.
Qualification / Experience
Education / Training:
- Degree in Engineering, Public Health or Social Psychology background or other relevant training
- Environmental health engineering or relevant WASH specializations
- Construction – including supervision.
- High level of awareness of environmental health issues as applied to emergency settings, with special attention to the needs of women and children.
- Experience dealing with sensitive topics and an appreciation for how these issues are dealt with in different cultural contexts
- Training in gender issues would be an asset
- Experience in cross-cultural settings would be an asset
- At least 3 years’ filed experience in working with health facility providers, community health workers and coaching and mentoring on the job preferred
- Ability to plan training sessions, provide formative supervision, monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities
- Ability to ensure quality data collection, compile and analyze data to formulate relevant recommendations
- Ability to write quality reports in English and submit them on time
- Disciplined, organized, respect for deadlines, adaptation in a multicultural working environment, tolerance, respect for CARE’s core values and gender
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work in complex environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Computer literate (email, word processing, spreadsheets,)
- Ability to multi task and prioritize activities.
- Must be a good team player that is able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Exemplary customer service and people skills
- Leadership abilities that have been proven in small and large scale arenas
- Problem solving skills that lead to feasible resolutions for the future
- Disciplined, organized, respecting deadlines, adapting to a multicultural work environment, tolerance, respect CARE’s Core values.
- Experience in working in multi-cultural environments
- Exposure to northeast Nigeria programming a plus
- Experience responding in emergencies.
Experience / Technical Skills
- Application of technical skills and program support
- Quality and timeliness of support provided;
- Observance of policies and procedures;
- Maintenance of relationships;
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Should have a good understanding of WASH in emergencies mainly on hygiene promotion methodologies
- Good level in written and spoken English
- An ability to present concise reports, reflecting the problems and possible solutions
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender and participation in humanitarian work
- An ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations
- Strong computer program skills (esp. Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Experience in facilitating training sessions
- Experience working with electronic data collection tools
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is based in Bama / Dikwa (100% field based) with minimal travels to Maiduguri to receive support/ training, plan activities and update the PM on progress on activities in the field.