Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is a Norwegian humanitarian and ecumenical organisation with headquarters in Oslo. It was traditionally affiliated with the state Church of Norway, but is now independent. Norwegian Church Aid works together with people and organisations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice.
NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business and religious leaders.
Norwegian Church Aid is an ecumenical organisation for global justice. Its projects are carried out with no intention of influencing people’s religious affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Officer
Location: Pulka and Monguno with some possible travel to other project locations and Maiduguri
Department / Sector: WaSH
Reporting to: Senior WaSH Officer
- The WaSH Officer is responsible for the implementation of the program activities in the whole area of responsibility.
- S/he coordinates and oversees the contractors, provides updates to the Senior WaSH Officer, ensures timely and effective implementation of activities, including identification of financial, logistics and security needs in the deep field and sharing with his/her supervisor.
- Based on project documentation, develop and submit to the supervisor the monthly activity planning in coordination with contractor’s teams from the specific deep-field location;
- Develop and submit to the supervisor the monthly staff movement planning and coordinate respective staff movement requests;
- Provide his/her supervisor with regular updates on procurement needs and supporting documents for the request to the Logistics Department;
- Develop and submit advance requests related to the activities in the specific location, and ensure timely clearance of advances;
- Monitor the security situation and report any security or safety-issues to the Security Department.
- Ensure the daily supervision of contractors, assess regularly the quality of their work by ensuring their suitability with NCA technical prescriptions.
- Help team members to identify their needs in capacity building and share with the supervisor;
- Train the beneficiaries (operators and technicians) on the O&M of WaSH facilities.
- Ensure the contractor’s teams acts in line with NCA internal policies, more specifically CoC
- Participate on relevant evaluations and needs assessments;
- Understand and use the M&E Framework to collect relevant information on project implementation;
- Ensure regular data collection and transfer supporting documentation about implemented activities and results to the Senior WaSH Officer;
- Submit progress reports on a weekly basis;
- Contribute to timely and quality monthly reports;
- Communicate actively with partners and beneficiaries, support field level CRM
Coordination and Representation:
- Plan weekly spending on activities and regularly inform the Supervisor;
- Understand and follow NCA internal procedures (e.g. HR, procurement, finance and security);
- Respect the Security Protocols;
- Where applicable: regularly update the Security Department on the security situation in the respective deep-field location and contribute actively to NCA’s “duty of care”;
- Monitor gaps and humanitarian needs of targeted population and update the Supervisor regularly;
- If requested, contribute to preparation and designing of project proposal for different donors in line w Ensure NCA’s representation and visibility in relevant deep-field location coordination structures;
- Ensure NCA’s role as an active humanitarian actor with the management’s strategy.
- A Degree in Water, Sanitation or Environmental Health Engineering, Civil Engineering or other related discipline;
- At least 2 years of experience in similar position/related
- Professional experience in construction or rehabilitation and maintenance of WASH infrastructures in displaced populations
- Excellent program implementation and WaSH technical skills
- Good knowledge of the context
- Good communication skills.
- Proficient in basic computer software, including engineering design tools.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Application Closing Date
4th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Ensure to attach updated CV, Cover Letter in a single file
- Due to the Emergency situation in the Northeast Nigeria, applications will be processed on a rolling basis and Position could be filled before the expiration of advert.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- This position is open to Nigerian nationals only.