Imo State University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Umuagwo – The journey of Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo towards becoming a University started from a humble beginning in 1979 by Imo State Edict No. 11 of 1979 that established it as a Monotechnic College of Agriculture, to provide courses of study, training, and research as well as the development of techniques and skills in all branches of Agriculture and Technology. In 2007 the institution was upgraded to a Polytechnic status through a law passed by the Imo state House of Assembly, Law No. 11 of 2007. In 2012, the Law was further amended by Imo State House of Assembly, Law No. 15 of 2012 that made the Polytechnic a multi-campus Institution.
Recently, the Polytechnic campus at Umuagwo was upgraded to the University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Umuagwo by the Law No. 4 2019, of the Imo State House of Assembly establishing the UAES. NUC recognized the University on the 18th April 2019 as the 49th State and 171st University in the Nigerian University System and the second Public University established and fully owned by the Imo State government. The mission of this University is to produce persons with capacity to contribute to the scientific transformation of Agriculture and the Environment in Nigeria and in accordance with the goals of sustainable development.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- In accordance with the UAES, the University Librarian is a Principal Officer, responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University Library and coordination of All Library Services in the University.
- The University Librarian is a member of the University Management Committee.
- As an Academic Staff, the University Librarian will be required to provide both academic and administrative leadership to staff members in the University Library
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants for the post of University Librarian, UAES should possess:
- Ph.D. in Library Science or related field with fifteen (15) years University experience;
- Possession of several scholarly publications, administrative experience and ability to provide academic leadership;
- Candidate must have served for NOT less than five (5) years at the level of Deputy University Librarian in a University or headed a library of comparable institution;
- Advanced Knowledge of ICTis mandatory;
- Membership of relevant professional association is mandatory.
- Age Requirement: Candidates must not be above the age of Fifty-nine (59) years by October 2020.
- Vision Statement: Candidate must provide a Vision Statement of not more than 500 words relating to the University in his 5-year tenure with particular reference to the administration and control of the financial affairs of the University.
- In consonance with the UAES Law 2020, the appointment of University Librarian is for a single term of five  years respectively.
- Also note that the salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for the applied position (Librarian) of State Universities and by the Governing Council of the UAES
Application Closing Date
26th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are advised to arrange all application documents (including application cover letters, CV, and copies of academic and professional certificates, etc) in one document and submit a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com In addition, ten (10) hard copies of applications, CV and credentials should be sent in one envelope marked with the position applied for, to:
University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences,
Umuagwo, Imo State.
Also, interested applicants are required to submit fifteen (15) copies of their Curriculum Vitae, photocopies of certificates and other relevant credentials. The Curriculum Vitae shall contain among other things:
- Name in full (Surname first) in block letters
- Date and place of birth
- State of origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Present Contact Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children with their ages
- Educational Institutions attended with dates and academic qualifications obtained
- Professional qualifications with dates
- Institutions and names of PhD students / Fellows supervised and dates graduated
- Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies and Professional bodies
- Outstanding Publications, discoveries or inventions
- Working experience in the University system giving names of institutions and dates.
- Details of administrative, fund-attracted and managerial experience in the University System.
- Specific services to Local, National and International communities (with dates, institutions / establishment and status)
- Present employer, status and salary
- Extra-curricular activities
- Submit name and Address of three (3) Referees.
- Attach Fifteen (15) copies of statement of their mission and vision for the University in the next five(5) years in not more than 1,500 words.
All applications should be submitted in sealed envelopes marked at the top left corner, ‘Application for the Post Applied for’ to:
Office of the Registrar,
University of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences Office of the Registrar,
P.M.B. 1472, Owerri,
- All applicants are advised to convert all their documents (including application cover letters, detailed CVs (containing email addresses, telephone numbers and Zoom Ids, among others) and copies of academic and professional certificates, among others) to PDF. All applicants are to save their PDF documents with their Names (first and surname) and position applied for (For example, Akingbade Babajide University Librarian).
- All applicants are to provide valid e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of their referees. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted via their email addresses, telephone numbers, and / or Zoom Ids.