United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Recruitment 2020/2021 Portal. Apply for United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Job recruitment 2020/2021 via Portal. The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Aviation is the recognized leader in humanitarian aviation and, through its expertise, provides air services to more than 1,000 different humanitarian organizations in various locations across the world. With more than 80 contracted aircraft in over 15 aviation field operations globally, WFP provides an apt platform for aviation professionals seeking highly rewarding career opportunities.
We are recruiting to fill the following position:
Job Title: Aviation officer
Locations: Maiduguri, Kinshasa, Malakal
MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
WFP is seeking to fill the position of Aviation Officer P3 level, based in Maiduguri, Nigeria, where the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service, managed by WFP, has its main base and from where 13 destinations are served moving more than 66,000 passengers for 90 organizations on annual basis. The UNHAS fleet in Nigeria is composed by 1 fixed wing aircraft and 4 helicopters.
KINSHASA, DRC ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
WFP is seeking to fill the position of Aviation Officer P3 level, based in Kinshasa, DRC, where the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service, managed by WFP has its main base, and from where 45 destinations are served moving more than 67,000 passengers for 188 organizations on annual basis. The UNHAS Fleet in DRC is composed by 8 fixed wing aircraft and 3 helicopters.
MALAKAL, SOUTH SUDAN ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
WFP is seeking to fill the position of Aviation Officer P3 level, based in Malakal, South Sudan, where the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service, managed by WFP, has one of its bases. UNHAS South Sudan operation move more than 85,000 passengers serving 65 destinations for 307 organizations on annual basis. The UNHAS fleet in South Sudan is composed by 10 fixed wing aircraft and 4 helicopters.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Plan and coordinate all activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UNAVSTADS (United Nations Aviation Standards).
- Develop and apply appropriate operational risk management process, including corrective actions, to ensure the safety of WFP staff and partners.
- Negotiate and coordinate logistics and administrative support for aviation services in the area of assignment e.g. continuous fuel supply, food and accommodation services, preparation of contracts and supplier payments.
- Liaises with regional and country aviation authorities and agencies, AOC holders and other Humanitarian Air Services.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
- Plan, organize and supervise the work of more junior staff to ensure that tasks are accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements, while reporting to and advising senior staff.
- Collaborate with internal counterparts and external partners to align aviation activities with wider UN and WFP programmes and activities to ensure a coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Review and/or prepare accurate and timely reports to support a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives, reviewing and analyzing route structures, aircraft payload, cargo traffic statistics to assess viability of routes and service improvements.
- Deliver training to WFP staff and partners to promote safe use of aviation services.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 5 years of professional relevant experience in the Aviation industry, commercial or military, in aircraft and/or airport management and ancillary aviation services, aeronautical engineering, and/or related fields.
- Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management, or other related field (in aviation), or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience.
- Generic Advanced University degree (or First University degree WITH additional years of relevant work experience) AND specific aviation certificates/licenses such as: Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License, Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
- Aviation Military officers’ professional careers as pilots or navigator pilots.
- Fluency (proficiency/Level C) of English.
- Intermediate knowledge (Level B) of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) and/or WFP working language, Portuguese, is desirable.
- For Kinshasa, DRC duty station intermediate level of French is required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Proven experience in commercial or military aviation, with a specific focus in humanitarian air operations or food aid.
- Liaised with country authorities to facilitate air operations.
- Established methodologies for risk analysis and problem resolution.
- Experience working in a humanitarian emergency situation.
- Supervised professional staff and reviewing reports produced by staff for accuracy and compliance with quality standards.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
24 May, 2020