Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (Caritas Nigeria), is a Not-for-Profit Humanitarian and Development Agency established by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), to coordinate at the national level, the social development interventions of the Catholic Church in Nigeria. Caritas Nigeria works to fight hunger, disease and ignorance as well as respond to humanitarian crises and emergencies by mobilizing resources from within and outside the Church to meet the basic needs of affected persons, regardless of religion, nationality or ethnicity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Locations: Asaba – Delta, Enugu, Owerri – Imo and Umuahia – Abia
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Laboratory Services
Project: 4GATES Program
Number of Positions Available: 5
- The Global Action Towards Epidemic control in Sub-national units in Nigeria (4GATES) program is a comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, care, treatment program being implemented in Abia, Delta, Enugu and Imo States.
- It is a 5-year program (October, 2017 to September, 2022) implemented by Caritas Nigeria and its consortium partners; Catholic Relief Services (CRS), and Pro-Health International as the sole Implementing Partner for PEPFAR in these states.
Summary of Role
- The Technical Officer, Laboratory Services will report to the Senior Technical Specialist, Laboratory Services in the state and provide technical support in the design, planning and implementation of laboratory services and laboratory related activities.
- Maintaining oversight on the functionality and optimization of all Molecular and Clinical laboratory services as well as laboratory related activities across healthcare facilities and communities;
- She/he will evaluate laboratory methods and procedures; and conduct periodic laboratory system assessment and review of activities.
Description of Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in the design, planning and implementation of laboratory services and laboratory related activities. S/he will Compile, analyze and monitor trends on the functionality and optimization of all Clinical laboratory services as well as laboratory related activities.
- Plan and monitor Rapid test quality improvement initiative across all the states.
- Support the implementation of Laboratory Continuous Quality Improvement and the deployment and institution of appropriate corrective and preventive action respectively.
- Assist in the evaluation of laboratory methods and procedures; and conduct of periodic laboratory system assessment and review of activities.
- Responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the Integrated Sample Referral Network and an efficient biosafety and infection control program across all supported healthcare facilities and communities.
- Assist in the development and adaptation of required guidelines/standards for related laboratory services.
- Be responsible for the functionality of all laboratory information systems and linkage to EMR. Responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring system to ensure an efficient documentation of laboratory information.
- Prepare progress reports of laboratory activities, lab program implementation and lab quality issues.
- Develop, implement and monitor the laboratory logistics plan to support program implementation.
- Be responsible for Dry Tube Specimen (DTS) production, distribution and monitoring of HIV Quality Improvement Program
- Keep inventory of necessary laboratory reagents and supplies needed for DTS production and distribution
- Oversee the development and implementation of quality control measures that will monitor specimen quality and storage conditions, including temperature and time.
- Oversee all viral load-monitoring activities in assigned health facilities and communities and reference laboratories.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Technical Officer, Laboratory Services, reports to State Laboratory Services Lead.
- The position has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Technical Advisor laboratory services and regularly interacts with facility staff, Caritas Nigeria technical staff and other members of the State team.
- The Responsibilities (Above) are not all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other related tasks as required and will be responsible for reporting and communicating progress and achievement of the specific assigned tasks.
Desired Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science with a valid certificate to practice as Medical Laboratory Scientist.
- Three (3) years’ mandatory knowledge and experience in the design, implementation and management of laboratory services in HIV/AIDS program.
- Experience and knowledge of ART Surge Response is a major requirement.
- Experience in a laboratory setting in the areas of molecular diagnosis (viral load) and familiarity with standards and federal/state regulations affecting the laboratory practices.
- Experience of dealing with difficult and sensitive situations in a professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure, efficiently handle multiple tasks, quickly find creative solutions to problems and challenges that arise, and manage stress and time in a fast-paced work and fluid operating environment.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, cooperation, and learning.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
Application Closing Date
6 pm: 16th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a Letter of Application with a recently updated CV as a single PDF file-format (as an attachment), and send to: 4GATES.CaritasNigRecruitment@ccfng.org using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email. E.g. ” Technical Officer, Laboratory Services; Umuahia, Abia State”.
- Application not received in the stated format will be disqualified.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.