United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Advisor (TA) – Project Management – Individual Contractor, Abuja
Reference No.: 538630
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Health, Consultancy
Scope of Work
Project Planning and Coordination:
- Provide technical thought-leadership and support for the implementation of the Gavi-supported activities and other assigned tasks towards strengthening COVID-19 response, national health security and resilience, as directed by supervisor
- Support the development of implementation strategy and methodology to ensure optimal utilization of available resources while meeting key milestones
- Support the development of NCDC partnership strategy including systems and procedures, internal governance and coordination structures to manage NCDC partnerships
- Provide support in the development of strategic documents (proposals, concept notes, framework, etc) and partnerships for health security
- Support in ensuring that strategic initiatives are implemented and tracked centrally and support strategic planning and resource management for NCDC programmes
- Actively contribute to the transfer of leadership and management skills to designated NCDC team to ensure capacity building
- Lead the day-to-day execution of project activities, manage workflows of assigned project officers and maintain schedules to meet key milestones at every project phase
- Monitor implementation to identify potential risks and implement creative mitigation actions to protect implementation process from unforeseen delays and costs.
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with relevant stakeholders and provide periodic updated on project plans and progress
- Support in operationalising the governance structures within NCDC and ensure that roles and responsibilities managing partners are clear
- Support in collating and review NCDC programs annual operation plans and ensure program initiatives are tracked. Support in implementing sustainability structure
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of pipeline, strategic partnerships and management activities
- Pro-actively track project, activities, budgets and timelines to keep teams on task and achieve schedule targets
- Facilitate routine technical problem-solving sessions with the client and relevant stakeholders to brainstorm implementation challenges and align on decisions to guide the path forward
Project monitoring and reporting:
- Regularly monitor and review project activities to ensure quality, accountability, and contractual compliance with agreed deliverables and performance indicators as per the scope of work
- Lead the preparation of periodic program and financial reports and status of implementation of planned Gavi-supported activities
- Monitor project expenditure and ensure efficient utilization of project resources; liaise with Gavi and NCDC COVID-19 partnership Liaison Lead to adjust Project activities in-line with budget realities as required
- Performance management of strategic initiatives
Organizational learning and documentation:
- Support the documentation of the best practices in the development of projects and prepare sets of necessary materials, tools, and other resources
- Support routine archiving of all project documentation on the organization’s shared drive and oversee clean-up of all documents at the close of projects
- Participate in periodic organization-wide events to share critical insights from the project with other managers and directors
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Academic training: Minimum of Masters’ degree in International Development, Policy and Strategy Development, Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Management or similarly relevant fields
- Experience: Minimum of 7 years of progressive experience implementing development projects, with a good understanding of the operations of the government, donors, and other development organizations
- Experience with project planning/ management to include development of end-to-end project plans for health strategic initiatives, which include supported budgets, timelines and resource utilization;
- Consulting expertise: experience in strategy design or systems strengthening in a recognized consulting firm or health programme
- Certification as a Project Management Professional preferred, but not required.
Knowledge / Expertise / Skills required:
- Compelling evidence of interest in and commitment to the vision and mission of Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, thought leadership abilities, strategic planning and partnerships
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and working knowledge of a Project Management software (MS Project)
- Reliable people manager, able to manage and promote inclusive and diverse teams within the organization;
- Fast learner, open to learning from peers, subordinates, and supervisors collaboratively and at a rapid pace;
- Results oriented performer, experienced in developing and tracking self and team with clear Key Performance Indicators
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, ability to work with and lead interdisciplinary teams, knowledge of all facets of Program Management.
- Develop spreadsheets, diagrams and process maps to document needs
- Organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management
Application Closing Date
11th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Open for Nigerians only
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.