World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Management Officer
Job ID: 2106566
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Objectives of the Programme
- A key purpose of the WHO Health System Strengthening Framework for Action is to promote a common understanding of what a health system is and what constitutes health systems strengthening.
- It also provides a basis to support countries in scaling up health systems and services: addressing bottle necks in a collaborative,coordinated way, driven by desired health outcomes, to achieve sustainable system-wide effects.
- To be most effective, this process must be country-led,based on priorities set out in comprehensive national health plans.
Description of Duties
- Provide technical support to the planning, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of EMP programmes, including medical supply chain activities and the use of the Interagency Emergency Health Kit 2015 in emergency settings, with focus on the capacity building of relevant stakeholders in order to reach affected and vulnerable populations.
- Provide technical guidance tothe national health authorities on the acceptance of medical product donations and the implementation of the interagency medicines’ donation guidelines.
- Monitor the availability of SSFFC medical products and report to WHO global monitoring system.
- Liaise with the WHO team and national health authorities on quality control and assurance systems for procurement, supply chain management, distribution and storage, including cold storage of medical products and issues related to access of quality-assured medical products, market intelligence, pricing and the appropriate use of medical products at the various health care levels.
- Provide technical guidance on ways to improve medical devise management in health care facilities, in compliance with WHO standards and guiding documents.
- Monitor and analyse the impact of the supply chain management of medical products and new policies and strategies and, where needed, propose new supply management initiatives to address regular programs andoutbreaks and health emergencies needs, in collaboration with other team members and international partners.
- Coordinate the publishing and dissemination of information, documents and guidelines on best practices and coordinated efforts pertaining to the various technical activities.
- Perform any other related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Essential: University Degree in Medicine, Pharmacy or related Pharmaceutical Sciences from an accredited / recognized institute
- Desirable: University Degree in Medicine, Public Health or Pharmacology. Specialized training in supply chain management, regulation of medical products, emergency management, international aid or humanitarian principles.
- At least five years of relevant experience in the area of supply chain and essential medicines.
- Related experience working in outbreaks and / or other health emergency operations.
- Experience and skills in providing in-country technical support and building national capacity.
- Experience in policy development.Working experience in regulation of medical products.
- Relevant experience in WHO, other UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations, or nongovernmental organizations.
- Excellent technical knowledge in the field of medical products with focus on treatment of diseases with high public health impact.
- Excellent understanding of the concepts of access to medical products, supply chain management, rational selection and use.
- Independent judgement; and ability to anticipate new trends in the field of medical products and take actions accordingly.
- Working knowledge of medical product regulation is an asset.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN22,134,904 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
21st December, 2021 at 11:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information & Notice
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s) / diploma(s) / certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.