US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Strategic Content Coordination Assistant (Substitution) – All Interested Candidates (Community Manager)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-096S
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: LE – 6520 8
Promotion Potential: LE-8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Candidates
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The Community Management Coordinator (CMC) is responsible for building and maintaining Mission flagship digital properties (social media, website content);
- Developing a year-long editorial calendar designed to promote Mission priorities with online communities;
- Researching and analyzing evolving markets for Mission digital properties;
- And customizing content and online engagement to promote Mission objectives.
- Organizes and hosts online conversations and designs and develops innovative engagement opportunities and tools.
- Provides guidance to Public Diplomacy (PD) Public Engagement staff and other Mission personnel who engage with online communities on standards, regulations, and policies for the use of digital properties.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two years of University studies is required.
- Four (4) years of experience in managing digital properties, including online interaction with the public and content creation in multimedia and traditional formats is required.
- Detailed knowledge of U.S. foreign policy objectives and American interests in the host country is required.
- Good understanding of U.S. historical, political, economic, and cultural forces that shape U.S. foreign policy is required.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of the attitudes and communication preferences of target audience groups.
- Must understand the regional, demographic, ethnic, socioeconomic, cultural, and linguistic factors and the influence of religious, cultural, and educational institutions in shaping host-country opinions and preferences.
- Must have strong online communications and analysis skills to identify and exploit engagement opportunities.
- Detailed knowledge of Mission structure and operations to facilitate collaborative work among a variety of agencies, protocol levels, teams, and constituent posts (where relevant) is required.
- Must understand the management of digital properties and online communities, including marketing and/or advocacy campaigns.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent in speaking/reading/writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytic skills to identify target audiences, understand their sensitivities, identify the best strategic content, format, and delivery means to influence them in support of U.S. policy objectives is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to maintain Mission-wide collaboration and coordination on the use of digital tools and platforms to strengthen Mission diplomacy efforts is required.
- Strong organizational skills are required, including the ability to manage multiple engagement platforms at the same time and actively engage with the public simultaneously on those platforms.
- Detailed knowledge of and the ability to build out and manage Mission flagship digital properties, including social media and mobile platforms, and develop digital tools such as games and contests are required.
- Accuracy in typing is required
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 8,664,538 (USD 43,507) / Annum.
Application Closing Date
30th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- University transcripts
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.