Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Team Lead
Job ID: 210001TA
Team / Programme: Program Operations (Integrated Health and Nutrition: IHN project)
Contract Length: Fixed Term
- Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- State Team Lead will be the head of project office, oversea both support services and the implementation of high quality nutrition and health project in Adamawa state, ensuring national protocols and agreed strategies are followed.
- Lead on the implementation of the high quality nutrition project in his/her State, according to agreed work plans and budgets in order to meet targets outlined in the contract.
- Stay professional and ensure that all staff adhere to all policies on COVID-19 pandemic prevention and control.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Program Manager.
- Dimensions: State – based
- Staff reporting to this post: 5-10 staff
Key Areas of Accountability
- Manage the implementation of the programme in Adamawa state according to the agreed strategy, work plans and budgets.
- Ensure the programme meets or exceeds agreed targets set for the State by reviewing programme performance data and programme management arrangements on a regular basis, identifying and agreeing residual actions and mitigation strategies.
- Ensure strong budget management and compliance to donor’s requirements, enabling the project to demonstrate value for money to the donor.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the programme especially in relations to the performance pay clause.
- Ensure accountability mechanisms are in place for operating under donor arrangements including contract compliance considerations.
- Ensure programme implementation demonstrates high levels of commitment to Save the Children and our vision, mission and values in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Policies (including Chid Safeguarding and Fraud) to ensure maximum protection for children.
- Provide overall administrative management to project office in the state.
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources and ensure safety in the workplace.
Human Resource Management:
- Inspire, lead and motivate state programme teams to deliver on programme objectives.
- Ensure that the State project team is rightly staff and trained.
- Ensure professional work relationship with all staff and promote motivating work environment.
- Involve in high level coordination at the state level, establish good relationship with the state and maintain excellent working relationship with all stakeholders.
- Represent Save the Children values and interests in the state.
- Represent Save the Children in all external meetings.
- Work closely with the LGA and State Government to efficiently meet deliverables.
- Work with HR/Admin team to coordinate the engagement of all stakeholders in the state in accordance to SCI policies and regulations.
- Ensure good relationship and coordination with the other NSA implementing the project in the State.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant health and nutrition partners at the State level
- Ensure the production of timely high State level quality reports and documentation both to meet donor and internal demands.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Undergraduate Degree in a relevant field (e.g., Nutrition, Medicine, Sociology, Business Administration).
- Relevant Master’s Degree is an advantage
- Certificate in Project Management is essential.
Experience and Skills
- At least 4 years of experience managing development projects in Nigeria or similar context, with a strong focus on field implementation.
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills in English, with substantial experience in managing multicultural teams
- Prior experience of delivering large scale (in excess of USD5m) health or nutrition programmes.
- Demonstrable record of accomplishment of meeting or exceeding programme targets, while maintaining technical quality.
- Demonstrated experience of working with national and/or State level government structures to strengthen the capacities.
- Demonstrated experience of supporting procurement and management of supplies
- Self-motivated and results orientated.
- Highly numerically articulate with a track record of data manipulation and use of spreadsheets and reporting systems.
- Experience in management of finance and budget monitoring and risk management.
- Proven ability to motivate and develop others
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process.
- Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.