The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2020.041
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (MM)
IOM Classification: G7
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
>> Click here for Latest IOM Recruitment 2020 / 2021 September | IOM Jobs Vacancies in Nigeria & Careers | International Organization for Migration Recruitment 2020
- Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM), under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer in close coordination with Labour Migration and Diaspora unit and the respective project managers in Belgium and the Netherlands, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the projects ‘Migration of African Talent through Capacity Building and Hiring (MATCH)’ and the ‘Connecting Diaspora For Development (CD4D-2) through Knowledge Transfer’ in Nigeria. He/she will be required to perform the following function:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Lead the planning, implementation, and monitoring of all activities related to the MATCH and CD4D-2 projects in Nigeria.
- With support from the unit and the mission, liaise and strengthen partnerships with project stakeholders, including relevant government structures, chambers of commerce, multinational companies, sector federations as well as others so as to ensure smooth implementation of project activities.
- Take the lead in drafting of periodic reports on the implementation of the projects as per the IOM and donor requirements.
- Ensure in proper record keeping and document repository for the projects’ activities.
- Develop and coordinate the dissemination of information about the CD4D-2 and MATCH projects to key institutions in Nigeria and maintain a regular network of information-sharing with relevant partners of the projects.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- ln cooperation with the lead IOM missions and with guidance from the National Project Officer, Labour Migration and Diaspora, lead the forging of frameworks and operational arrangements for the Diaspora professionals during their missions to host institutions in Nigeria.
- In close coordination with IOM Belgium, the project partners (ALDELIA, VDAB), and the employment organization in Nigeria, coordinate the selection of the candidates participating in the labour migration scheme of and set up pre-departure orientation sessions for the selected candidates. The senior project assistant will duly inform the Working Group on Labour Migration, Technical working Group on Migration which will assist the pre-selection committee as an observer.
- In the context of the MATCH project, provide lead the implementation of initiatives contributing to the development of Nigeria organized by the project partners, participating candidates, diaspora organizations, etc.
- Lead the preparation and organization of capacity-building missions the project partners to Nigeria, including organizing meetings with relevant national private sector organizations and employment agencies.
- Coordinate components of the project which support the returning migrants with their re-integration in the Nigerian labour market. This encompasses monitoring vacancies, liaising with individual companies and matching their recruitment needs with the profiles of the returning migrants.
- Organize trainings, scoping missions and monitor activities for beneficiaries of the CD4D-2 project and for companies joining the MATCH project, including making logistical arrangements.
- Lead the in-house coordination among the different sectors of the projects.
- Promptly identify and address any challenges and, as needed, present to management of any problems or issues related to project implementation and regularly make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client service;
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the projects’ activities.
- Participate in the development of new project proposals; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Economics, Business Management, Political or Social Sciences, Law and/or International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience with a minimum of two years’ experience in project management and implementation.
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration issues in Nigeria, the sub-region and related issues with a focus on diaspora and /or migration management.
- Demonstrated working experience in the area of human resource management and/or recruitment and stakeholder engagement, ideally in the private sector in Nigeria.
- Proven experience in project management, implementation, reporting and monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well “as with national and international institutions.
- Familiarity with financial and business administration.
- Experience in drafting narrative project reports and project documents.
- Experience in diaspora mobilization and government institutions capacity building programs.
- Experience of supporting all aspects of project management and familiarity with international standards and EU regulations.
- Experience working with budget or contracts administration is desirable
- Experience working in a multi partnership project/programme is desirable.
- Demonstrable ability to act under pressure and completing tasks in a timely manner.
- Strategic multitasking experience, strong analytical skills, and situational anticipation abilities.
- Expert level internal and external communications skills as well as excellent negotiation skills;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and coordinate administrative activities.
- Strong planning, coordination and logistics skills related to the implementation of complex activities.
- Strong communication skills, including good oral and written English and good computer skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point);
- Ability to independently carry out tasks, proactivity, ability to multi-task and to prioritize.
- Ability to work effectively with government counterparts; and
- Knowledge of social and development issues in Nigeria, particularly within area of responsibility.
- Fluency in English is required and working knowledge of local languages an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
31st August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the position applied on the subject line.
Important Information / Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.041 Abuja. Senior Project Assistant (MM), G7.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.