The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer – Assembly, EXCL, PRC, STC
Requisition ID: 578
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P3
Country / Region: ET
Business Unit: The African Union Commission
Directorate / Department: Office of the Secretary to the Commission (OSC)
Purpose of the Job
- The Senior Policy Officer, Summit, EC, PRC, STC shall provide technical and administrative support for the effective management of the Secretariat to the Sub Committees and implementation of their decisions.
- Provide support in the preparation and implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Ensure effective coordination and implementation at continental and regional levels
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders on relevant matters
- Generate and compiles accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Conduct complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepare and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
- Manages and evaluates performances of subordinates
- Provide technical support to the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders
- Support the preparation leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programs and plans.
- Coordinate with relevant Focal Departments (Protocol, DCMP, etc.) for provision of administrative and logistic support to the meetings of the Commission as well as other activities of the PRC and other decision-making organs of the AU
- Ensure coverage, preparation and circulation of reports / conclusions of the meetings of the Commission, of Directors, of the Conference and Event Organizing Committee as well as those of the PRC and its subcommittees;
- Ensure the exchange of information between the Commission, and Departments in terms of outcomes emanating from their respective meetings;
- Liaise with Departments for the substantive preparation of internal meetings of the Commission and of meetings of the other Organs of the Union, so as to ensure the timely submission of the appropriate documents, programme of work, agenda, as well as of the expected outcomes and reports;
- Follow up with departments on the implementation of policy organs decisions and compile reports for submission to the meetings of the Policy Organs;
- Draft Note Verbales, Internal Memos and respond to queries from the AU stakeholders;
- Ensure that the records, documents and conclusions of all internal meetings of the Commission, and meetings of the other Organs, are properly stored and managed;
- Perform any other relevant duties within the Office of the Secretary to the Commission, as may be assigned.
- Respect for Diversity and Teamwork
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
- Head, Policy Organs Division
- Number of Direct Reports: 2
- Number of Indirect Reports: 0
- Who: Head, Policy Organs Division / frequency: Daily / why: Provides assistance to the Head for adequate implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: PO, Summit, EC and PRC / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: PO, STC / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: JPO, Policy Organs / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: OSC staff within the Division / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the mandate of the OSC
- Who: OSC staff outside the Division / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the mandate of the OSC
- Who: DCMP, Protocol, SSSD, DIC, OLC, DIC, AHRM (MIS, Procurement, Travel Unit, Transport Unit), PBFA / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the coordination mandate of the office of the Secretary to the Commission
- Who: Other AUC Departments / Directorates / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / Why: Implementation of the coordination mandate of the office of the Secretary to the Commission
- Who: Member States / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: PRC meetings, Retreats
- Who: STCs / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / Why: Meetings of Policy Organs, but particularly meetings of STCs
- Who: Non Member States / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Participation to Partnership and Summit meetings;
- Who: UN agencies and other international organizations / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Participation to Partnership and summit meetings.
Academic Requirements & Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Political Sciences, Management, Business Administration, International Relations or in related Social sciences with at least 7 (seven) years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience, with at least 3 (three) years in a position requiring supervisory responsibility.
- Bachelor’s Degree in similar fields of study coupled with 10 (ten) years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience, with 3 (three) years of supervisory responsibility.
- Proven experience in the working systems of international public organisations.
- Experience in organizing high-level meetings, production of reports and dissemination, very good understanding and knowledge on records and information management
- Interpersonal skills
- Drafting and communication skills
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- The African Union working languages are Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another or more AU language is an added advantage.
- Building Relationships
- Communicating with Influence
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
- Drive for Result
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Change Management
- Developing Others
- Managing Risk
- Strategic Insight
Least Representative Countries:
- Candidates from the following least represented countries at the African Union Commission are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial, Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Saharawi Arab D.R., Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, and South Sudan
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of with the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 P3 (Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (40% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88 per annum, education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for every eligible dependent for national and locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.