The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2020.074
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall guidance of the Senior Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Human Resources Officer (HRO), the incumbent will support the HRO in the management and implementation of the Human Resources (HR) processes in the mission. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist the HRO in ensuring the mission’s HR processes and actions (including, selection, recruitment, retention, professional development and training activities, separation, and end-of-contract duties) remain consistent with the relevant IOM policies and procedures. Advice and support staff and managers on HR matters.
- Support coordination of the functions related to Personnel Administration in the unit and reviewing and uploading of Danger Pay (DP) in PRISM (SAP).
- Update the missions Organogram and coordinate with relevant colleague to ensure the PRISM Organizational Management (OM) module’s chart is in accordance with the established unit specific organogram every month.
- Coordinate induction orientation and briefing to new staff members in the mission as per the IOM standard and on time.
- Assist in the planning and organizing of the staff development and training for the mission in close collaboration with Human Resources Management/ Staff Development and Learning (HRM/SDL), including the establishment of staff development and training priorities and plans
- Provide advice and recommendations on grievances and appeals on National Staff issues, within the framework of the Staff Regulations and Rules, Instructions, policies, procedures, and practices. Ensure that any HR follow-up action is implemented
- Participate in the recruitment and selection exercise for staff in allocated units in accordance with the recruitment procedures. Ensure the administrative actions for these staff are processed in a timely manner.
- Monitor and provide guidance for the implementation of the missions Staff Evaluation System (SES) and advocate for timely completion of the performance management process in line with organizational deadlines.
- Assist the Human Resource Officer in preparing complex and routine reports pertaining to personnel administration, staffing, and human resources activities of national staff in coordination with all the Sub-Office Heads and Programme Managers.
- Assist the HR Officer to develop, train and provide guidance to HR colleagues in the unit.
- Assist managers in evaluating staffing needs and drafting Terms of Reference for the national staff.
- Participates in discussions on new/revised procedures and practices and assess the impact of changes; makes recommendations on follow up actions
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Four years of relevant working experience with a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Business Management, Social Sciences, Psychology or equivalent field OR
- Six years of relevant working experience with High School Diploma in the above fields
- Minimum of six years of working experience in Human Resource Management and Administration
- Familiarity with the UN common system or similar systems, knowledge of staff rules and regulations, staff entitlements and benefits, recruitment and selection practices and training programs.
- Strong working experience in SAP is an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues.
- Mature individual, able to work independently under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines, and working with minimal supervision.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Suite (Office, excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) internet and E-mail
- Fluency in English (oral and written) and working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 3:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 3:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and review of relevant documents,
- Men with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.074 Abuja. Senior Human Resources Assistant, G6.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.