Tearfund – We are a Christian organisation partnering with the local church wherever possible to see change in the lives of those in greatest economic need. We believe poverty is caused by broken relationships with God, others, the environment and ourselves, and working to see those relationships restored is key to how we work. We want to see change that is economic, material, environmental and spiritual.
Tearfund Nigeria is looking to recruit motivated and qualified persons into the advertised position below to implement its Joint Initiative for Strategic Religious Action / Power of Voices (JISRA/Pov) project which will be implemented with its consortium and partners:
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer (JISRA / PoV Project) – Jos base
Location: Jos, Plateau
Employment Type: Full-time
Main purpose of the job:
The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for:
- Support and Supervise PoV Senior Finance Officer
- Oversee the PoV Financial Management and liaise with the Country Consortium Leadand PoV Consortium Partners and Implementing Partners (SfCG, CAFOD, MM, Tearfund, DIWA, DREP, FOMWAN, RURCON & SUWA).
- Harmonise the Nigeria Consortium Financial reports in liaise with Tearfund West AfricaFinance Team.
- S/he will also be responsible for the provision of practical support and advice toTearfund partners on the following: strengthening financial management capacity,strengthening partner’s internal control systems, improving financial budgeting andreporting. Responsible for ensuring donor compliance for all financial managementissues. Provides accounting functions and financial management input to TearfundNigeria.
Position in Organisation:
- Responsible to the Finance Manager, Nigeria.
- Grade: Croner 5 Level
- Works closely with the Project Manager (Consortium Lead)
- Works directly with Tearfund’s partners, especially the finance staff of partners.
- Works closely with the Tearfund’s Finance team, Support Services Coordinator, and otherin-country Tearfund staff.
Tearfund’s Christian Culture:
We believe that prayer and discernment is fundamental to Tearfund achieving its mission ofrestoring relationships, ending extreme poverty and transforming lives. As a Tearfund staffmember you are expected to:-
- Engage with Tearfund Prays and the Prayer hub
- Lead or participate in spiritual sessions of prayer and biblical reflection within your group
- Be committed to Tearfund’s Mission, Values and Beliefs statement and to be actively workingand living in accordance with Tearfund’s Christian beliefs and theology of mission
- Maintain your own spiritual development, discover your gifts/callings and grow in discipleship
- The post holder will be expected to live out Tearfund’s values as they represent Tearfundexternally.
- S/he will be expected to fulfil their personal objectives set by their line manager, contribute totheir team’s overall objectives, take responsibility for reviewing their ongoing personaldevelopment and maintain an awareness of Tearfund’s strategy.
- S/he will be expected, along with all Tearfund staff, to share responsibility to promote andmaintain a strong safeguarding culture, including identifying the key actions they should take given their role and responsibilities.
- The post-holder will be required to actively participate in the spiritual life of Tearfund inthe following ways:
- To model godly leadership in all aspects of character and conduct.
- To lead or contribute in Christian worship, prayer, teaching and biblical reflectionsduring collective staff prayer times and encourage staff to attend as is appropriate.
- To be committed to and share in the outworking of Tearfund’s Mission, Purpose,Values and Statement of Faith.
- To actively work and live in accordance with Tearfund’s Statement of Faith andTearfund’s Christian ethos.
- To pursue and maintain a Christian faith through ongoing personal spiritualdevelopment and a relationship with God.
- To provide support and spiritual encouragement to staff and colleagues, in line withbiblical principles.
- The post-holder will be expected to behave in accordance with Tearfund’s ‘Code of Conduct’as referred to in the Personal Conduct Policy.
Duties & Key Responsibilities
Support to Partners:
- Carry out financial management reviews/assessment of partners by identifying criticalgaps and capacity development needs.
- Provides direct support to partner on:
- Strengthening internal controls, improving organisational and project levelbudgeting and reporting
- Appropriate tools for senior management and board to ensure adequate monitoringand decision making on financial management.
- Quality of financial and administrative documentation.
- Computerised financial packages
- Develop specific financial management capacity building plans for partners.
- Facilitating training on financial management for non-financial managers at partnerlevel.
- Develop a work plan that prioritises key areas of support to partners.
Financial and Accounting Supervision:
- Ensure that all Tearfund’s internal controls and other financial procedures are adheredto and fully implemented.
- Ensure that all Tearfund’s financial transactions (bank, cash, accruals) are properlyrecorded in accordance with Tearfund’s policy
- Ensure that all government regulations concerning finances are respected (Taxes andother statutory Deductions)
- Maintain an inventory list of all office equipment and fixed assets.
- Ensure compliances with Tearfund finance policies, standards, proceduresand government VAT & Tax requirements.
- Ensure that the requirements of the Donors are followed.
- Ensure that all accounting operations (Both Tearfund and Partner) are submitted to theFM in time for uploading in PSF. Close the cash and bank books on the second day ofeach month and send the details to the FM.
- Manage all payments made, including:
- Verification of the accuracy and appropriateness of invoices andother documents provided for payments.
- Ensure that all relevant supporting documents are in place and that all Tearfundpolicies and regulations have been followed.
- Ensure payments reach the beneficiaries
- Record all bank transactions made in the accounting system provided.
- Classification of all supporting documents according to the proceduresdefined by Tearfund.
- Inform Project Managers and Partner Staff of specific donor regulations forprocurement, distribution, and reporting.
- Ensure that Tearfund and Partner books and records, insofar as they relate todonor-funded projects, are kept in accordance with donor requirements.
- Produce accurate and up-to-date reports using required formats.
- Petty cash management.
- Ensures that the cash count is made every end of every month (or as determined bythe FM).
- Management of advances to staff (ensure that advances are accounted for over timeand that no double advances are issued)
- Classification – Ensure that all financial documents are stamped “PAID” and classifiedin accordance with Tearfund’s policies and practices.
Accounting and Financial Management:
- Verification of telephone billing and other monthly invoices from service providers such as medical bills, tax, and rent, ensuring that personal expenses are passed on to the respective employees.
- Track service contracts to ensure they are renewed on time and for those who expire, follow the correct process if they need to be terminated or renewed.
- Provide financial / accounting assistance to the country office to ensure that procedures and policies are not flouted.
- To be a leader in the prevention of fraud at the base and to provide technical support for fraud investigations.
- Undertake any other task assigned by the FM and Country Director.
- Degree in Finance / Accounts orequivalent experience
- ACA / MBA / CA, ICAN, ANANor equivalent
- Proven experience in relief anddisaster response work
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experiencein accounting
- Strong technical experience inbook-keeping, accounting andfinancial management.
- Providing financial capacityassessment to local partner
- Experience of working withChristian based partners
- Understanding of accountingissues in the charity/NGOsector.
- Excellent written and verbalcommunication in English language.
- Planning, budgeting, monitoring andevaluation skills
- Communication and presentation skills
- Computer literate in MS-Word,Excel, Powerpoint, etc
- Team player
- Attention to detail
- Ability to Prioritise
- Good analytical skills;
- Training and mentoring skill
- Ability to communicate inHausa
- Committed Christian with a personalrelationship with God
- Committed to Tearfund’s Mission,Values and Beliefs
- Logical Thinker and Problem solver
- Humanitarian motivation
- Commitment to accountability toBeneficiaries and transparency,showing dignity and respect
- Understanding and sensitivity to crosscultural issues.
- Flexible and adaptable to changingenvironments
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Influential, diplomatic and determined
- Willingness to travel and live in basicand potentially insecure conditions;
- Committed to regular Christianfellowship with other Christians
- Christian motivation in relationto injustice and serving those inneed.
Application Closing Date
28th March, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should attach and send via email a written Application (addressed to the Human Resource, Tearfund Nigeria) and a summarized 2 to 3pages CV to: email@example.com using the Job / Position Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Two or more role applications by an individual will bedisqualified.