United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Finance Assistant
Job ID: 28399
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Senior Finance Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
- The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Maintain financial records for project or other office accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
- Record receipts and payments, assure accuracy of computation and completeness of documents and maintain continuing status of allotments against obligations.
- Prepare recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting problems resulting from excess cost or less-than-expected receipts.
- Prepare special reports to clarify problems or as requested for other reasons.
- Calculate and compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assist in preparation of budget statements for area of assignment.
- Prepare routine correspondence and maintain contracts with others to discuss matters concerning accounts and related assignments.
- Maintain contacts with local banks to clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts.
- Brief and assist new staff on basic financial procedures and requirements with respect to payments, entitlements, banking and currency provisions and other requirements relating to accounts and finance.
- Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience (Years of Experience / Degree Level):
- For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent or higher.
Field(s) of Education:
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Accounting; Business Administration; Finance; HCR Learning Prog;
Relevant Job Experience (Essential):
- Not specified.
- Not specified.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- FI-PeopleSoft Financial Management
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software.
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation.
- Not specified.
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm: 29th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
Note: This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.