International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Assistant
Location: Gubio, Borno
- The Security Assistant is responsible to follow up the security context in IMC areas of intervention and assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for IMC employees and visitors, premises, and assets as well as maintaining regular communication with staff during field movement within Gubio town and environs,
- The Security Assistant is responsible for ensuring that appropriate systems and procedures are in place to maximize safety and security of IMC staff and making sure they are always adhered to,
- The Security Assistant is responsible for supporting the Security Manager in Borno State to ensure that safety and security is mainstreamed into all field operations (especially Gubio town) and that the high-quality information is available for decision making.
- He / she is also in-charge of monitoring the security context and preparing factual and analytical reports to assist IMC Security manager in its analysis,
- He/she must conduct an ongoing analysis of the context and any perceived threats, in order to ensure the safe movement of personnel, the safety of all resources and the implementation of programs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of IMC security manager and he / she shall administer the following:
- Work with IMC security manager to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans.
- Ensure the availability of all the instruments needed to guarantee the security at the area of interventions in Gubio town and its environs.
- Monitor the security situation in the field, reports to the security manager and to report risks and propose mitigation actions promptly.
- In coordination with the Security manager and CD, revises and updates the organization’s security tools.
- Daily track and record all IMC field movement within Gubio town and its environs.
- Regularly conduct field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
- Collect and report information to IMC Security Manager regarding politics and security in Gubio town as well as on safety and security issues concerning IMC-Nigeria.
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the IMC security manager.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Conduct monthly health and safety inspections such as, but not limited to; fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of IMC facilities in Gubio town and environs.
- Regularly inventory and stock as necessary hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits, communication gadgets; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them.
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly / situational reports) to IMC Security Manager and IMC/WFP Nutrition coordinator.
- Work closely with IMC field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with IMC Security Manager.
- Take appropriate measures to secure IMC premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of IMC existing security set-up.
- Liaise with other humanitarian actors in the field in order to obtain information on the safety and security situation.
- Regularly analyze and update IMC’s vulnerabilities in its areas of intervention;
- Immediate alerts in the event of a drastic change in the context or significant incidents.
- A Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Security Operations and Management / Criminology / Disaster Management / Public administration / International relations / Business Administration / Education – Languages or a field related to humanitarian work. A Bachelors’ Degree in similar field will be added advantage.
- Mandatory Computer use skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet)
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local language is highly desired (Kanuri, Hausa and Fulani).
- Training in First Aid and Fire service
- Basic Mapping or GIS skills
- Must have completed NYSC service or submit exception certificate.
- Disaster management and response training/ certification
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Flexible and, able to cope with stressful situations.
- At least 1-year security-related experience with UN / INGOs / NGOs, CBOs operating in the Northeast Nigeria either in safety and security and administration. Relevant experience from any other institution will also be considered.
- Ability to comprehend security related subjects such as threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces, Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Proven experience or ability of working effectively in complex security environments and situations with an articulate understanding of the conflict in northeast.
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment/ open minded and the ability to work under minimal supervision,
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills,
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills,
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions,
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Candidates from and or living in Gubio LGA will be prioritized.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Due to the urgent need of the position* a*pplications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send and address their Applications to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: email@example.com using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Position: Nigerian nationals only
- Application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this *recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document.
- International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review