Save the Children Recruitment 2020/2021 for Human Resources Manager. Apply for Save the Children Job Recruitment 2020/2021 today. is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfill their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Job Id: 200002NL
Location: Abuja with field travel
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team / Programme: Nigeria Country Office
Reports to: Director, Human Resources and Administration
Staff directly reporting to this post: 2 HR Officers and 2 Assistants
- Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
- Save the Children is looking for a Human Resources Manager to join its Nigeria country programme. The role holder will generally be responsible for the provision of effective HR services in the country office and field locations.
- Alternatively, they may be deployed as a field level HR advisor in a complex, large-scale emergency.
- The HR Manager will be expected to lead on HR assessments, strategy, coordinating recruitment, developing robust systems, policy and practice on people management in the country programme.
- In most circumstances, the post-holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity build existing country programme staff.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Policies and Procedures:
- Supervise the Human Resources function to ensure that advice and support are provided to managers and staff on interpretation and application of policies and procedures and on other HR related matters
- Supervise the development of HR practices and processes aligned with the organisation’s overall strategy to meet the evolving needs of the organisation
- Provide ethical oversight and leadership support across the Country Office HR locations
- Ensure that staff and Save the Children Associates are aware of and adhere to the Child Safeguarding Policies
- Lead in the implementation of High Performing Organization projects in the Nigeria country programme
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Human Resources:
- Ensure appropriate staffing within Human Resources
- Ensure that all HR staff understand and are able to perform their roles
- Manage the HR team; define expectations, provide technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result based system and follow up
- Manage the performance of all staff in Human Resources work area through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ workplans
Staff Recruitment and Retention:
- Ensure appropriate recruitment, retention and succession of staff including orientation programmes; design and implementation of compensation and performance management systems relevant for both development and emergencies, and career development for staff
- Ensure that employment terms, conditions and practices are fair, consistent, compliant with labour law and Save the Children human resource policies and best practice, and appropriate to the context
- Prepare terms and conditions of employment and issue all employment and consultancy contracts in compliance with Nigeria Labour Law and regional HR best practices
- In collaboration with Director of HR and Administration, ensure maintenance of updated information on staff salaries, allowances and income tax calculations in compliance with current laws and regulations
Performance Management and Staff Development:
- With other senior managers develop a culture of performance management across the organization, where staff are held accountable and rewarded for high performance
- Lead implementation and maintenance of Save the Children’s Develop to Perform performance management system in alignment with organizational goals
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted regularly by supervisors; provide training and advise to managers on effective implementation of performance management
- Providing guidance on staff capacity building and ensure that staff development is budgeted for. Ensure that staff have access to HR guidance on individual development opportunities arising from performance review feedback and personal career development interests
- Lead on refresher trainings for staff in HR policies and procedures including performance management
- Monitor and advise on disciplinary matters in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Mediate conflict, grievances and lead on enquiries in harassment cases.
- Promote diversity and inclusion awareness and design activities that foster understanding and tolerance among staff from different cultural backgrounds.
Competencies for this Role
- Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organisation.
- Level required: Accomplished
Applying Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organisation.
- Level required: Accomplished
Working Effectively with Others:
- Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Level required: Accomplished
Communicating with Impact:
- Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
- Level required: Accomplished
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and Experience
- Recommended minimum of 4 years’ HR managerial experience in a corporate or an INGO environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Law, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic disciplines.
- Ability to apply HR data analytics as a decision-making tool, to predict People & Organizational trends
- Knowledge and maintenance of HR Information Systems that meets senior management’s information needs
- Application of talent management software and learning management systems to streamline hiring, onboarding, training and retention processes
- In-depth knowledge of employee relations and current employment legislation in Nigeria
- Experience in the development of strategic and operational support services plans and their implementation in a work environment over a sustained period of time
- Ability to plan and organise a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts
- Experience in capacity building and setting frameworks for staff development
- Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- Excellent oral and written English combined with effective presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate leadership in a multi-disciplined team through a period of change
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff
- High level of commitment to the principles of development and to the organizational and programmatic goals of Save the Children.
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online