Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Job ID: 190004ZO
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The purpose of the assignment is to provide professional HR support to Save the Children’s programme team based in Borno Office
- The HR Assistant will provide HR support for the effective implementation of activities in Borno Office
- S/he will liaise with the other departments in Borno Office and the Country Office and ensure agreed action regarding HR is taken, and give feedback to the team.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Responsible for maintaining and updating personnel filing system in both soft and hard for HR department in line with HR best practice
- Review personnel and recruitment files in identifying missing documents
- Collate missing information in excel spread sheet
- Follow up with staffs and recruiting managers on missing documents in personnel and recruitments files
- Update and circulate the filing list regularly to HR team members.
- Collate induction materials in readiness for induction
- Update staff list and share with HR Officer at the end of the month
- Update and share New starters and leavers list with Finance
- Provide administrative support to Line Manager in arranging for HR trainings and events
- Assist the HR Officer with arranging for interviews
- Follow-up with Country Office and Field HR focal persons on recruitment documents
- Responsible for maintaining and storing of all recruitment documentation in line with SCI guideline
- Track probation and prepare confirmation letters
- Track staff contract end date, seek approval for extension and prepare contract extension letter
- Any other duty assigned by Line Manager
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – First Degree in any Social Sciences course or any related qualification
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of a year working experience
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with proven administrative skills
- Sound knowledge of office practices, procedures and administrative systems including filing systems
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively in a constantly changing environment, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Strong coordination and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to both support colleagues and request support as and when required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, fluent in English
- Strong inter – personal skills
- Very discreet and can maintain confidentiality
- Ability to draft well-written, professionally presented documents
- IT experience – Proficient in Microsoft Office and database applications
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, vision and values.
Application Closing Date
23rd December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please attach a copy of your CV and Cover Letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations
- All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.