Sanitation Officer Job Recruitment at Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’). Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Sanitation Officer
Locations: Maiduguri & Monguno, Borno
- The Sanitation Officer is responsible for the implementation of the program activities related to faecal sludge study in the whole area of responsibility.
- S/he coordinates and oversees the work of the consultant, provides updates to the WaSH Projects Manager, ensures timely and effective implementation of activities, including identification of financial, logistics and security needs in the deep field and sharing with his/her supervisor.
- Objective 1: Ensure the timely and effective implementation of activities under his/her supervision (daily coordination of activities, procurement requests, financial requests)
- Objective 2: Supervise, in coordination with the WaSH PM, the consultant and his team to be engaged to conduct the faecal sludge project feasibility study (coordination and implementation of daily tasks, support of performance review by the WaSH PM, participation on field staff meetings) and ensure they understand and use all relevant NCA protocols
- Objective 3: Support with MEAL to effectively monitoring and reporting of the activities and expected results (relevant data collection and documentation, internal activity reporting)
- Objective 4: Contribute to the coordination between deep field locations and main office in Maiduguri during his field visits (including regular communication with the supervisor)
- Objective 5: If requested, represent NCA in relevant coordination mechanisms in the deep-field locations
Roles and responsibilities (specific tasks, coordination etc)
Related to Objective 1:
- Based on project documentation, develop, and submit to the supervisor the monthly activity planning for the faecal sludge study project.
- Develop and submit to the supervisor the monthly movement planning and coordinate movement requests from the consultant and his team.
- Provide his/her supervisor with regular updates on procurement needs and supporting documents for the request to the Logistics Department about the faecal sludge study project.
- Develop and submit advance requests related to the project activities under his responsibility and ensure timely clearance of advances.
- Monitor the security situation and report any security or safety-issues to the Security Department.
Related to Objective 2:
- Develop the ToRs for the selection of the consultant and the team who will conduct the faecal sludge project feasibility study.
- Ensure the consultant and his team are fully aware of NCA CoC and various protocols and act in line with them.
- Ensure the consultant and his team deliver all the work required by NCA according to the agreement, the ToRs developed and in line with existing standards.
- Provide all necessary support, including guidance, to the consultant and his team to achieve the project targets and objectives.
Related to Objective 3:
- Participate to relevant evaluations and needs assessments.
- Understand and use the M&E Framework to collect relevant information on project implementation;
- Submit progress reports on a weekly and monthly basis to his supervisor.
- Communicate actively with the consultant, his team and beneficiaries, support field-level CRM.
- Ensure beneficiaries are carried along throughout all the project stages.
Related to Objective 4:
- Respect the Security Protocols.
- Where applicable: regularly update the Security Department on the security situation in the respective deep-field location and contribute actively to NCA’s “duty of care”;
- Monitor gaps and humanitarian needs of targeted population and update the Supervisor regularly.
- Ensure clear and timely communication is maintained between the consultant and the WaSH PM during field visits.
- If requested, contribute to preparation and designing of project proposal for different donors in line with the management’s strategy.
Related to Objective 5:
- Ensure NCA’s representation and visibility in relevant deep-field location coordination structures;
- Ensure NCA’s role as an active humanitarian actor.
- Undertake any other task related to the WASH as necessary
- Cross Cutting Issues (Gender, Protection, Environment & Other)
- The Sanitation Officer ensures the centrality of protection, GBV mainstreaming and respect of CHS and AAP standards in all activities his/her project location.
As such, the s/he is responsible:
- For respecting and integration of CHS and for inclusion of all vulnerable groups in every stage of Project Cycle Management (PCM);
- That all data in assessments, plans and reports are gender and age disaggregated
- For support to initiatives related to the establishment of gender, age and diversity sensitive Complaint Response Mechanism;
- Implementation of ACT Alliance Code of Conduct.
Success factors/risks and restraints:
- The success of the Sanitation Officer’s activities will depend very much on her ability to:
Successfully coordinates a team on a daily basis;
- Supports his/her Supervisor to proactively seek solutions in a challenging context;
- Maintain high standards and quality of work;
- Work under pressure and with a tight deadline.
- The Sanitation Officer reports to the WaSH Projects Manager, or to the person with this responsibility.
- S/he provides regular status reports from own area of responsibilities as per NCA Nigeria internal procedures.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Norwegian Church Aid. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Application Closing Date
23rd June, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: Recruitment-Ng@nca.no addressing it to “The Human Resources, Norwegian Church Aid” and using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Nigeria Nationals only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates must state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.