Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Roving Information Communications Coordinator
Reference ID: 210005BY
Location: Abuja (with ability to deploy within 72 hours to any newly arising needs in any SC’s implementing and accessible areas)
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 6 Months
Programme: Humanitarian Fund (HF)
- Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and young people either frequently (e.g., once a week or more) or intensively (e.g., four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in-country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- Save the Children Nigeria will establish and train a Roving Rapid Response Team. The team will be based in Abuja, with the ability to mobilize and respond within 72 hours to any newly arising needs in any SC’s implementing and accessible areas. The Roving Rapid Response Team will be trained in conducting rapid needs assessment and time managing the start-up of the responses while supporting new proposals development and further on appropriate handover to the FO’s teams. In the first phase, the team will be led and composed mainly by HSTs, and it is expected to become nationalized entirely within a period of 6 months.
- The Roving Info Comms Coordinator will lead and manage the setup or scale-up of all emergency response information and communication functions and responsibilities. As a member of the roving management team, the Info Comms Coordinator will support the deployed roving management team on the best use of Save the Children’s resources. The Info Comms Coordinator will lead a team that will establish safe and stable information gathering and sharing and other IC programming which complies with current SCI standards.
- The Info Comms Coordinator will work with country office ICT teams in SCI to ensure that all activities relating to information and communication are coordinated. This role will also engage with external organizations and any other local authorities responsible for communication.
- The Info Comms Coordinator contributes to ensuring that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld through the Save the Children Minimum Standards and the NGO Code of Conduct and endeavors to implement sustainable systems and transfer knowledge and skills to existing staff.
Key Areas Of Accountability
- Coordinate with the roving field team and field managers to support the overall improvement of information and communication of assigned project and field office
- Design effective communication tools for all offices which are saleable and complies with SCI technical standards
- Communicate and enforce SCI data protection and policies in information sharing.
- Develop centralized IC services such as printing, scanning, templates, etc.
- Set up weekly calls with the ICT manager for the update, discussion, and needed support
- Promote SCI standard document management systems (OneNet and other SCI standard applications) to all staff.
- Ensure compliance with data protection and security standards.
- Circulate updated programme information with all field staff and ensure the field team have updated information on all necessary SCI support function services
- Attend field-level senior meetings to ensure that the work of project information is communicated and promoted.
- Liaise with country office ICT team so that activities at all levels are aligned.
- Attend field-level management meetings and keep ICT Manager updated with activities.
- Attend Logistics meetings when and where appropriate.
- Liaise country office ICT manager and team to support timely information gathering and sharing of activities with SMT and donors
- Be the initial focal point for all information and communication activities and escalate to other support channels as required.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Significant management experience working in an emergency response context or fragile states
- Proven knowledge of IC programming and ability to communicate complex issues in a more formal but understandable manner.
- Experience in planning IC budgeting.
- Strong external representation skills.
- Substantial experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure
- Good attention to detail.
- Experience in planning budgets.
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values, and principles.
- Cultural awareness and the ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams
- Microsoft, Cisco, or related industry-recognized certifications are a distinct advantage.
- Experience in managing contractual relationships with external suppliers.
- Experience in implementing and developing IC policies.
- Knowledge of latest trends, practices, products, and techniques in IT systems and service delivery and introduce these developments into an organization to improve efficiency.
Competencies For This Role:
Leading & Inspiring Others:
- Demonstrates leadership in all our work embodies our values, and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve our goals for children
- Level Required: Accomplished.
- Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving our performance or team/organization.
- Level Required: Leading Edge.
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Takes effective, considered, and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
- Level Required: Leading Edge.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online