The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Centre. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 Africa member countries, with headquarters in Cote d’Ivoire.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) has been mandated AfricaRice to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2022-009
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National
Contract: 1 year renewable contract
- Conduct filed test of different stages of breeding lines/population.
- Create related studies in EBS, collect data and upload the data into EBS in a timely manner.
- Perform leaf sampling for genotyping.
- Prepare seed for grain quality and disease resistance screening for testing on
- AfricaRice Research Station and NARS in different countries.
- Perform data collection, curation, analyze research data, draft reports, and research publication.
- Ensure digitization and barcoding of breeding nurseries, trials, seed inventories.
- Supervise technician and labor daily.
- Assist in degree and non-degree training programs.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Genetics, Plant Breeding or related field with a minimum of three (3) years experience performing similar role in a well-structured environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be experienced in design and implementation of experimental research.
- Be competent in statistical analysis of research data.
- Be experienced in cereals crop breeding and data collection.
- Have knowledge of markers assisted breeding and genomic selection.
- Have strong communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Have ability to implement tasks autonomously with minimal supervision and a collaborative team spirit to work effectively in the team under pressure.
- Have high integrity results oriented and able to exercise good judgement and think creatively and strategically.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working
conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague, and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse
workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all
applications will be acknowledged, please