The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Radio Operator
Location: Jos, Plateau
- Under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager, the Radio Operator operates the ICRC’s telecommunications equipment.
- He maintains radio contact and telecommunications between sites, vehicles and people so that the delegation can follow field movements in accordance with its programme and with security rules.
- Operates all types of radio (VHF, HF) including phone/satellite equipment for voice and data communication
- Maintains daily radio and operations in the field mobile log
- Facilitates radio and telecommunication contacts and maintains a permanent field follow-up according to internal guidelines
- Respects international and national radio procedures when contacting other stations
- Immediately shares with management any information that can affect the operational activities of the ICRC.
- Registers and treat incoming and outgoing information, confidentially, rapidly and with accuracy
- Is responsible for ensuring that the correct languages are used when working with all types of radios
- Selects the most efficient means of communication (inside and outside the ICRC) considering speed and cost
- Conducts radio checks as requested by management
- Keeps record and tracks of satellite equipment, portable radios and other equipment in the Radio Room and ensures that they are constantly in good working condition
- Is responsible for HF/VHF radios and satellite phones and issues them to field officers when needed
- Examines and operates new equipment prior to installation in order to ensure that it performs properly
- Reports all faults or irregularities relating to the efficient functioning of the Radio Room and/or the equipment to the Radio Operator Supervisor or the ICT Department
- Consistently goes through the daily staff location template daily and promptly reports omissions or inconsistencies to the Radio Operator Supervisor for corrective action.
- Maintains a good mastery of the geographically assigned environment
Education and Experience Required
- Minimum of Secondary education
- Diploma in ICT or Electronic, additional vocational training in electronics, telecommunication, IT or similar field will be an asset
- Experience in communications/Radio operations within NGO’s or similar function preferably with an international organization
- Very good command of written and spoken English.
- Very good knowledge of Windows based computers
- Good knowledge of radio (HF & VHF) technology and satellite communication
- Excellent knowledge of the geographically assigned environment Basic mechanical skills
Desired profile and Skills:
- Capable and motivated to continuously update one-self on latest developments.
- Strong sense of responsibility and autonomy with good organizational skills
Application Closing Date
10th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Cover Letter and NYSC Certificate to: ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org using “ABJ202100231 Radio Operator ABJ” as the subject of their application.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated
- In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc.
- (Female candidates are encouraged to apply)
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.