The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: QRF Driver
Job ID: 33514
Locations: Abuja and Maiduguri (SB2) with possibility of building a roster
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Transportation
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Field Security Coordination Officer – FSCO, the QRF Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UNDSS staff, officials and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues as well as registry and clerical services, demonstrating computer skills, a client-oriented approach, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Maintenance of proper registry system
- Effective mail management
1.) Ensures provision of reliable and safe and defensive driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of UNDSS Officials, other UN Colleagues, Police or Army element for QRF Services and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Provide support for routine security patrol, escort and emergency reaction response as well as may be required.
- Provides necessary services like dispatch and collection of mails as may be directed.
- Ensures availability of all required documents and components/gadgets of the assigned vehicle without loss of any.
- Maintains the standard procedure and practice in fueling and servicing of assigned vehicles.
2.) Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3.) Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4.) Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle. Support in the management of office supplies and inventory.
5.) Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6.) Ensures effective visa, protocol and customs related liaison for the country office, UNDSS staff and consultants’ missions.
7.) Ensures security clearances and logistical support for the operations of the country office, i.e. UNDSS and consultants’ missions.
8.) Ensures maintenance of registry system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the UNDSS Records Management System.
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule.
- Maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents.
- Provision of photocopies of material from the registry files, as requested by staff. Assistance in the collection of reference and background material.
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files.
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to registry activities
9.) Ensures provision of effective mail management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming letters and other correspondence to proper departments/units/officers.
- Perform other tasks assigned as could be deemed necessary for effective office functionality.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the CO services.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education and;
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Certification in Auto mechanics or related field will be an advantage.
- 3 years of relevant work experience:
- Driver and Office Clerk experience with International Organisations, United Nations Agencies, Embassies or Government Offices with safe Driving Records;
- Experience in Diplomatic Security, Security Forces and Intelligence are added advantages.
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Word and Excel) and knowledge of web-based application operations and Outlook;
- Safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Be a Nigerian national (male or female);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Basic computer skills
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit.
- Fluency in English and the National language of the duty station
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations.
- Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
- Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Microsoft office: using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other MS Packages such as SharePoint; knowledge of integrated management information systems an asset.
- Knowledge of administrative policies and procedures.
- Organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors;
- Sense of initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background.
- Ability to work in a team environment to achieve common goals.
Application Closing Date
24th January, 2021. (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- *Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.