US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Public Engagement Assistant (American Spaces) – Substitution – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-025S
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 6510 8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-8
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission – This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- 50% or less
- Incumbent travels occasionally to assist with program development, resources, and equipment: and to monitor grants.
- Under the direct supervision of the American Center Director, the American Spaces (AS) Assistant assists in grants management and procurement processes, strategic planning, programmatic outreach, and administrative support for Consulate’s American Spaces program.
- Incumbent works on special projects across the Consulate’s Public Diplomacy efforts with American Spaces partners that support U.S. foreign policy goals, such as speaker programs and education initiatives.
- Working with the American Center Director, assists in managing the social media properties for the American Spaces, develop marketing materials, and grow the audience base at the Consulate’s American Center and other American Spaces in the district.
- The AS Assistant assist in developing and executing innovative outreach and training materials in support of the Mission’s Interagency Country Strategy (ICS) goals.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two (2) years of College / University studies is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience delivering information resources, public education, public affairs, or public relations in a multilingual, multicultural, or multinational public services institution (such as a museum, think tank, American studies or cultural center, or library) is required, with communications, marketing or public relations duties as a significant part of the job is required.
- Knowledge of Mission Integrated Country Strategic goals and Public Diplomacy Integrated Plan: basic awareness of contemporary U.S. affairs including political affairs, arts and culture, cultural movements, education, history, social issues: and key figures in these fields is required.
- Must have good working knowledge of Nigeria’s political, social and educational structure and institutions and key personalities.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent in speaking / reading / writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent service orientation and cross-cultural interpersonal skills is required.
- Ability to conceptualize plan and implement events and projects on deadline is required.
- Ability to speak well before large groups is required.
- Ability to operate multimedia equipment, as well as high level of computer literacy is required.
- Use of social media platforms and videoconferencing tools, e.g. Facebook Live, Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office Suite to develop and manage budgets, Internet; and other proprietary software such as Libib, Zoom, and G-Suite is required.
- Must have excellent use of online tools such as Canva, social media platforms, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights. **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN8,664,538 (USD $42,570) Annually.
Application Closing Date
16th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interestes and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- University Transcript
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Abuja.