The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager, English Programmes
Locations: Abuja, Kano or Lagos, Nigeria
Pay Band: 6
Contract Type: Two (2) Year Fixed Term Contract
- Implementation of projects with a low level of complexity funded by the British Council or by another client or funding mechanism.
- Leads the successful delivery of a range of projects from start to finish including managing the contract or project plan, managing client or internal stakeholders, successfully achieving reporting and meeting compliance standards.
- Or works within a larger programme or multi-country programme on a particular component.
Relationship & Stakeholder management:
- Has relationships with delivery partners and stakeholders within the country and is able to procure services and contract delivery partners.
- Holds suppliers to account for delivering against the contract.
- Build strong internal relationships and networks.
Commercial and Financial Management:
- Ensure sound financial planning, working closely with finance teams to ensure British Council and client financial year plans are up to date.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly (re)forecasting is in place, by running regular reports in the SAP system on actuals, monitoring outstanding purchase orders, reviewing commitments, analysing and commenting on reasons for variances to plan and recommending corrective actions.
- Monitoring monthly finances, including correct expenditure, ensuring the P2P process is being followed and correcting any errors.
- Lead on British Council, partner or client reporting (including, with Finance Manager, financial reporting) and ensure reports are delivered on time, to budget and to a high standard.
- Compliance with BC financial policies and procedures.
- Contributes to the development of, owns and delivers on Project Management Plan
- Identifies risks in a project or programme and puts together mitigation strategies with SRO
- Responsible for internal and client, procurement, contracting, compliance and reporting pm
- Checks on and reports on compliance
- Manages procurement on a project/programme
- Responsible for data management including timely data entry, quality assurance of data, undertaking basic analysis of monitoring data, and developing progress reports to meet funding needs
- Undertaking programme-specific data collection as needed. This includes working with colleagues to identify indicators and tools for data collection, quality assuring all data, and undertaking basic analysis.
Role-specific Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in managing projects from start to finish and familiarity with project life cycles.
- Understanding of procurement, evaluation and reporting requirements of projects.
- Proven experience in managing project finances.
- Experience in managing stakeholders
- Project management qualification desirable.
- Experience working in project or programme management.
- Experience in using technology in project delivery.
- Good understanding and experience in supporting monitoring and evaluation.
- Foundation-level Project Management certificate.
- The role could require some domestic and international travel as required by the programme and some out-of-hours and evening work responding to or driven by programme/portfolio needs
- Language requirements: Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- The role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
NGN 10,989,828.00 per annum.
Application Closing Date
6th March, 2023 at 23:59 East Africa Time
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online