Apply for Project Manager (COMITAS) at IOM – International Organization for Migration. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager (COMITAS)
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
See latest Bank of Industry (BoI) Openings
- Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management and implementation of the European Union (EU) – funded Project “Contributing to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources between farmer and herder communities in Adamawa State, Nigeria (COMITAS)”, implemented by a Consortium of three Partners (SFCG, Mercy Corps and IOM), under the lead of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Supervise the budgetary, technical and administrative aspects of activities under the COMITAS project, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures as well as donor requirements and national authorities.
- Prepare project summaries, press releases and other materials or correspondence relevant to ongoing project activities.
- Analyze specific project-related needs and priorities, and prepare reports, analyses and proposals on operational plans and approaches, and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to maximize project performance levels.
- Coordinate the effective implementation of all project activities, providing guidance and information on schedules, arrangements and methods required for project implementation management.
- Supervise the work of project staff in coordination with the other partners of the project.
- Monitor compliance of consortium partners with their obligations in implementing the project as stipulated under the partnership agreements, expedite project implementation, discuss issues with project partners, and utilize information obtained as an input to corrective decision-making and revisions.
- Monitor the activities of the project, and prepare narrative, financial and other required reports, including for the EU Delegation in Abuja, in accordance with the provisions of the contribution agreement signed between IOM and the EU.
- Establish and maintain regular liaison with EU and all other project stakeholders.
- Participate in field missions and duty travel for project coordination and implementation purposes.
- Liaise with IOM’s Staff Security Unit (SSU) and the Mission Security Focal point as / when required, in close conjunction with the management of IOM Nigeria and in accordance with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) requirements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Management, Development Studies, Planning, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of migration including operation and field experience, community development and media;
- Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development;
- Specific work experience with European Union-funded programmes is an asset;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/International institutions and NGOs;
- Experience in coordinating complex programmes and engaging with multiple partners and stakeholders;
- Experience in community stabilization programming, peace and resilience programming, community development;
- Knowledge of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) protocols and experience working in a phase III (or above) security environment.
- Knowledge or experience of regional issues is an advantage;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- Effective resource management skills;
- Strong general analytical skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Notes: Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Application Closing Date
18th November, 2020 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.