The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (Shelter / Construction)
SVN No: SVN2021.84
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Shelter & NFI
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The Shelter Construction Assistant will be working under the overall leadership and guidance of the Shelter Program Manager and direct supervision of the Shelter Project Officer, accountable for providing support to the implementation of Shelter project activities within the framework of the emergency response program in North-East Nigeria, in accordance with the overall directives of the
- Emergency Coordinator and IOM procedures, and in close coordination with other units. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible and accountable for the following activities:
- Assist with the implementation of the Shelter projects according to the agreed response strategyand plan.
- Liaise closely with the Shelter Program Manager and Shelter Project Officer throughout the differentstages of Shelter programming.
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate in any relevant assessment carried out by the shelter unit
- Provide support to the contractors and assist in the distribution of materials, supplies andequipmentto be conducted timely and according to the standard procedures.
- Provide support in formulating bill of quantities and prepare Purchase Requests along withnecessary follow ups.
- Continuously monitor and supervise the Shelter construction activities in the field, overseeingexecution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Support the site planner, as required, in new site developments and extensions.
- Prepare and develop status reports, minutes of the meetings, travel requests, and otherdocuments,as required, by the management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Perform any other duties that may be required.
- Graduate Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Preferably 2+ year(s) of relevant experience in shelter or construction industry
- A sound and up-to-date knowledge of local construction techniques and materials.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc.). Versatile in use of design related software (e.g. AutoCAD) and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and cost estimates.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Fluency in English and Hausa, Kanuri and other local languages (working knowledge)..
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
Appliaction Closing Date
2nd December 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating Position Number on subject line.
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one
- page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.84 Maiduguri. Project Assistant (Shelter & Construction), G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.