African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Staff Integrity Investigation Officer, PIAC.2
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50087658
>> Click here for Latest AfDB Recruitment 2020 / 2021 | African Development Bank Recruitment 2020 2021 Portal | AfDB Careers
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption; Compliance Review and Mediation Department; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Function Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary-General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption (PIAC) plays an integral role in achieving this mandate by protecting the Bank’s corporate image and reputation, and improving the continent’s investment climate through the deterrence, prevention and reduction of fraud, corruption, staff misconduct and other harmful practices within the Bank Group.
- The Investigations Division has the overriding mandate to undertake unhindered investigations into allegations of corruption, fraud and other malpractices in Bank Group Financed Operations and conduct investigations into allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank.
- The Principal Staff Integrity Investigation Officer will be responsible for conducting comprehensive investigations into allegations of misconduct committed by staff members of the Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Staff Integrity Investigation Officer will:
- Undertake and/or lead investigations into all allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank which are not related to fraud and corruption, coercion, collusion obstructive practices, or the offering receiving or soliciting of bribes, kickbacks or other personal benefits either in kind or otherwise in connection with Bank Group Financed or supported activities.
- Maintain appropriate processes and investigation tools including a case management system and ensure compliance with chain of custody procedures, maintain case records, archives, testimonies and evidence;
- Contribute to regular updating of the internal manual of investigations procedures which sets out how to investigate misconduct in the Bank.
- Operate procedures and mechanisms for ensuring confidentiality of the hotline facility, protection of the whistle-blowers and anonymous reporting of staff misconduct in the Bank.
- Receive, screen and investigate allegations or whistle-blowing on staff misconduct, assigned by the Division Manager PIAC2.
- Employ surveillance measures deemed necessary and reasonable for the furtherance of staff misconduct investigations.
- Monitor and report regularly to the Manager PIAC2 on the allegations received and screened and their investigation status and implementation of recommendations, as well as the performance of any other tasks as instructed by the Manager;
- Monitor compliance with Bank Group’s policies, procedures and guidelines, relating to integrity and ethics and use of surveillance measures for the furtherance of investigations;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the case management system, investigative tools, procedures, and mechanisms for staff misconduct investigations to enhance transparency and accountability;
- Participate in the preparation of work plans, progress reports and key performance indicators in consultation with PIAC.1;
- Monitor the implementation of investigation recommendations and report the status to the Division Manager PIAC 2.
- Contribute in Capacity Building & Awareness Raising in Staff Misconduct related matters.
- Make appropriate recommendations against Bank staff found to have engaged in misconduct and corrective measures where controls or existing procedures are found to be weak.
- Plan staff misconduct investigations and determine investigation objectives, scope, criteria, methodology to be used as well as staff and budget resources required to accomplish the assignment.
- Conduct fieldwork, controlling evidence and data collection and reviewing documents and information gathered in the course of an investigation to ensure that investigation objectives are achieved; evidence protected and adequately support the findings, conclusions and recommendations of the investigation.
- Contribute in the processing of allegations of staff misconduct and providing regular tracking to the Division Manager PIAC2.
- Prepare and review required written outputs of the highest quality with logical and clear presentations of staff investigative findings.
- Contribute in conjunction with the Division Manager PIAC1 in the prevention efforts in the Bank including staff awareness in staff misconduct related matters.
- Review the results of preliminary inquiries to determine availability of sufficient evidence of wrongful conduct or irregularity to warrant comprehensive staff misconduct investigation.
- Conduct specially sensitive and complex interviews and staff misconduct investigations.
- Monitor the implementation of investigations recommendations to prevent reoccurrence of such irregularities and safeguard the assets and image of the Bank.
- Prepare Quarterly Activity Reports containing the status of allegations, preliminary reviews and assignment progress for the attention of the Manager.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Annual Reports of the Department and other internal and external reports.
- Contribute to special initiatives/projects and undertake other ad hoc assignments upon demand.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Law, Criminology, Finance, Forensic Auditing or related field.
- Professional Qualifications in staff misconduct examination would be an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years extensive and progressive experience in investigation work, preferably investigations relating to professional misconduct in a corporate or governmental setting.
- Experience in working and living in Africa;
- Substantial experience in investigative work, preferably investigations relating to professional misconduct in public or private sector, such experience may include extensive knowledge in business ethics and compliance, internal fraud and abuse and/or investigations into alleged professional unethical behaviors in a corporate or government setting.
- Excellent knowledge of international standards of Rights and Obligations of employees under administrative investigation for Misconduct.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, both oral and written; proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations at senior levels and to produce complex and compelling briefs, reports, papers, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a team/task force as participant or team leader and with senior officials internally and externally.
- Strong interviewing skills, including ability to focus discussions and to elicit critical information from uncooperative witnesses.
- Strong organizational and analytical ability with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and manage challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a strong working knowledge of the other language. Being fully bilingual (English and French) would be an added advantage.
- Competence in the use of the Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, Power point).
Application Closing Date
22nd August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.