Operations Assistant Job Recruitment at Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Assistant
Reference Number: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00031
Location: Biu, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy CorpsТ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary
- The operations assistant will provide support to the Biu office for facilitating and executing different aspects of Administration, logistics and procurement responsibilities.
- S/he will work extensively with other departments to ensure that all program support activities are implemented successfully and timely. He will work with the rest of the operations team to ensure that all activities are done in a timely manner and accurately documented.
Essential Job Functions
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats to undertake procurement responsibilities.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other procurement documentation.
- As and when requested, collects quotations and bids from the market for requests as per Mercy Corps standard policies.
- Make sure that all required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed and filled correctly.
- Maintains and updates procurement files as often as required for easy reference and follow up.
- Assists with payment requests and follows up with status to ensure vendor payment is always done in a timely manner.
Logistics and Assets:
- In coordination with the Operations Officer, ensure that all assets in Biu office are tagged and transferred from one user to the other through proper documentations.
- Participates in regular quarterly assets inventory count and checks at minimum on a quarterly basis
- Assists in the operation of generator, inverter other office equipment as well as monitors the servicing schedule.
- Support in the preparation of monthly assets, inventory report as required
- Maintains appropriate filing systems for office correspondence, ensure proper tracking of office correspondence.
- With support from the Operations officer to ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Ensures office has sufficient office supplies, such as stationary, cleaning supplies, office supplies.
- Makes all necessary travel and lodging arrangements for staffs and visitors, and follow up on documentation as well as prompt payment
- Be the focal person for hotel booking in both Gombe and Biu and ensure all payment is made in a timely manner.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Operations Officer
- Works Directly With: Operations and all programs.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired.
- Minimum 1 year experience in supply chain management; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel, MS Word
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is based in Biu and will require travel to communities in and around Biu, Hawul and Kwaya Kusar when required.
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.