Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future.
Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments. While we recognize that these are difficult places to operate, we believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change. Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, making Mercy Corps a true leader in the field. Mercy Corps currently has 27 active peace and conflict programs in 15 countries.
Mercy Corps partners with religious leaders and faith-based organizations in Borno, Kaduna, and Plateau in order to engage religious leaders and faith based organizations in peacebuilding and countering violent extremism through engagement of religious actors in interfaith and policy dialogues. Mercy Corps’ conflict management and peacebuilding programs, also focuses on reducing violent incidents in target Middle Belt states between farmer and pastoralist communities across Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: On-Call Driver
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Project/Consultancy Title: Driver
Duration: 12 Months
Slot: 3 Openings
Program / Department Summary
- The Driver will work within the Logistics department of Operational Support structure, committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
- The driver will provide safe transport services for MC program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility).
- The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management.
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times.
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to the operations lead within the office on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- None applicable
- Reports Directly To: Head Driver
- Works Directly With: Assistant Logistics Officer, other drivers. Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff in the office
Knowledge and Experience
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving 4×4 vehicles.
- Must respect and adhere to all safety and traffic rules.
- Basic understanding of English and fluency in all local languages is required.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- The successful candidate must be committed to assigned responsibility, having respect for time and be supportive to program activity.
- Should be helpful with guiding and assisting passengers. Ensure compliances with safety regulation during the trip.
- Proposed Start date: 21stNovember 2022.
- Reports directly to: Head Driver.
Application Closing Date
9th November, 2022.
Method of Application
ested and qualified candidates should send Applications inclusive of Price quotation for a period of 12 month to: email@example.com using the Position as the subject of the email.