The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition MEAL Officer
Reference ID: req29559
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Background / IRC Summary
- IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014, Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015 and Damaturu (Yobe state). The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Economic Recovery and Development and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
- The Nutrition sector currently manages projects with different donors across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) states in different facilities such as OTP, stabilization centre, etc. The team works closely with the health team and other sector in to responding and achieving the humanitarian response plan in Northeast Nigeria.
Job Overview / Summary
- The purpose of the Nutrition MEAL Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data using the CMAM online platform to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement across the BAY states.
- S/he will also serve as the focal person for all development research, engage in reflective practice, and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare MEAL plans for the Nutrition sector.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better field level data management systems for the core program s/he assigned to and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact.
- S/he will contribute to the existing client response mechanisms and ensure program staff participation in MEAL activities.
- The position holder will closely work with sector manager(s), front line staff, and community/facility volunteers.
- S/he also will work closely with the MEAL unit on technical matters and reports to the MEAL Manager and the Nutrition Coordinator.
Program / Project Design and Learning (20% of time):
- Participate in program/ project design especially in developing Nutrition log frames and, also contribute learning from previous projects.
- Support to develop and make sure all the projects in the Nutrition sector has tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses.
- Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys.
- Responsible for organizing periodical ongoing Nutrition level data review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners.
- Responsible for proactively networking and sharing of lessons from the Nutrition core program with strategic partners and other stakeholder including government;
- Responsible for coordinating synergy and cross-learning among different projects.
- Responsible for cross feeding learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing with Nutrition staff and partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation (50% of time):
- Responsible for tracking Nutrition progress against monitoring work plans.
- Coordinate the Nutrition field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement.
- Responsible for ensuring the on-time execution of Nutrition projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision.
- Responsible for providing technical support to Nutrition staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping.
- Responsible for updating Nutrition MEAL plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Responsible for conducting Nutrition regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data across the BAY states.
- Responsible for documenting findings from Nutrition data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access.
- Actively participate in and contribute to MEAL team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall MEAL practices at IRC Nigeria.
- Accountable for the recruitment of enumerators and support in other survey including engagement of consultants.
- Contribute to providing MEAL inputs for Nutrition report written during project implementation, quarterly donor report and end of grant reporting.
- Responsible for periodically conducting Nutrition reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
- Adapt and maintain a high-quality database for the project in line with the country MEAL standards
- Responsible for planning and implementing MEAL activities on all Nutrition grants under the guidance of the MEAL Manager
Information Management and Reporting (10% of time):
- Support in reviewing and maintaining centralize Nutrition project information management system.
- Responsible for submitting Nutrition data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis.
- Responsible for compiling and reporting monthly sector working group report such as 5W.
- Responsible for compiling Nutrition regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations.
- Support to ensuring all projects have downward/ forward client responsiveness mechanisms and works with project Nutrition staff to make sure its implementation.
- Ensure high quality data are available on a regular and timely basis for reporting and programmatic decision making.
Capacity Building and Supervision (10% of time):
- Responsible for supporting Nutrition local partners in designing monitoring and reporting tools and establishing database management systems.
- Responsible for the orientation of Nutrition front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making.
- Orient program staff on the basic principles and practices of client responsiveness in accordance with the IRC
Perform Other Duties Assigned by the Supervisor (10% of time):
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Health and Nutrition MEAL Manager and Coordinators
- Position Directly Supervised by: Health and Nutrition MEAL manager
- Indirect Reporting: MEAL Coordinator, Nutrition Managers, SAM/FC
- Degree in Statistics, Computer Science / Information Management / or any other related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred.
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, power point and Word)
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required.
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems.
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively.
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and MEAL plan.
- Experience in conducting assessment using Kobo, Commcare, etc.
- Background in Nutrition and Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage.
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English.
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of CMAM online
- Position holder must be willing to travel to other locations to conduct activities
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Women are strongly encouraged to apply.