Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Nutrition Distribution Assistant
Locations: Pulka and Gwoza; Borno
- The Nutrition Distribution Assistant is responsible to assist the nutrition assistant and nutrition officer in distribution of fortified supplementary food and implementation of the nutrition activities in compliance with plan international Nigeria and UNWFP policies for an effective and smooth running BSF program.
- The Nutrition Distribution Assistant will work under the direction of the nutrition officer in collaboration with nutrition officer and will collaborate closely with other project staff employees within the commodity department.
Dimensions of the Role
- The Nutrition distribution assistant is responsible for assisting distribution of supplementary food commodities on the field according to the methodologies and guidelines provided by Plan International.
- Nutrition Distribution assistant will be part of a distribution team responsible for ensuring a smooth and clear distribution process, from enrolment to disbursement.
- They are responsible for monitoring beneficiaries’ enrolment, verifying their identity card, registration, exiting and distribution.
- During disbursement, they will be responsible for monitoring the process together with Nutrition officer and Nutrition assistant. This will include spot-checks on beneficiaries’ identification.
- Conduct sensitizations, providing key messages related to the programme objectives, organization of distributions, the use of the products and other messages related to IYCF.
- Screening of nutritional status of children under 24 months in their designated project sites and refer SAM cases to health / CMAM centres.
- Coordinate and collaborate with female community mobilisers in implementing follow-up of defaulters from project and referral of SAM cases to OTPs and stabilization centres in project locations.
- The nutriiton Distribution Assistant will distribute supplementary food to children under 2 years and pregnant and lactating women (PLW).
- The NDAs will be responsible for filling in the BSFP register at distribution point, ensuring quality of data to be sent to the Nutrition assistant and officer for further analysis.
- Correctly and technically admit / discharge PLW and children following approved BSFP guidelines
- Collect and track weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits.
- Submit weekly / daily nutrition, health and distribution reports to the Nutrition Assistant for onward sharing with the Nutrition Officer and the Project coordinator.
- Organize and conduct nutrition cooking demonstrations ensure caregivers are aware of the appropriate usage of products
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Officers.
- Ensure commodities tracking in collaboration with the warehouse Officer and Nutrition team
- Foresee crowd control, verification of beneficiary and receipt of entitled commodities by the beneficiary in exact amount as entitled in methodology;
- To collect all data needed for reporting after distributions.
- Submit accurate and detailed reports on distributions and assistance provided to beneficiary during distributions
- Ensure that all commodities entrusted to Plan International arriving at food distribution point are properly accounted for.
- Scrutinize all waybills for commodities arriving at the distribution points. Ensure that the commodities are of correct quantities and quality as manifested on the waybill. Immediately record all quantities delivered short (missing), quantities lost in transit and quantities damaged if any (In the field and FDP). All observations must be recorded immediately.
- At the distribution points, commodities must be stacked in an organized manner, by commodity type to facilitate easy distribution.
- Take active role in the registration and verification of beneficiaries to ensure that the process is fair.
- Ensure at distribution points, commodities must be properly stacked on plastic sheeting
- Responsible to ensure that all necessary distribution equipment’s are available at the distributions point, including forms, ropes, banners, plastic sheets, measuring devices etc.
- Supervise loading of food that is left over after distributions. Ensure that a waybill is prepared for food to be returned to the warehouse.
- Prepare daily distribution point visit reports and Food Monitors report. This is a MUST
- Ensure proper completion and safe return of all tally documents and beneficiary lists to the office for safe storage.
- Ensure proper accounting of all quantities of commodities received and distributed at each distribution point.
- Perform any other duty that may be assigned from time to time
- Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide support to Plan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilization.
- Work with other members of the programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Based at LGA level, rare travel with extensively clinical care of complicated and uncomplicated SAM case at general hospital and supervise programme activities at hospital.
Level of contact with children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have very frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a discipline such as Human Nutrition, Health, Agriculture, International Development, Business Administration, Sociology and Anthropology, Management and Economics or any other discipline relevant to development.
- Previous experience in a related position for at least 1 years, including managing general Food Distribution & Nutrition projects.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Hausa, Mandara and other languages of the LGA including Kanuri
- Commitment to and understanding of PLAN’s aims, values and principles.
- Applicants from Borno State are encouraged to apply
- Managing UNWFP-funded projects is preferable.
- Experience working “In-kind Distributions” projects is preferable.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
Application Closing Date
17th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.