The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse / Midwife
Requisition ID: req17577
Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the worst humanitarian crises globally and assists people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC is present in over 40 countries and the United States.
- IRC’s presence in Nigeria is dated back to 2012, when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected population.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja, and field offices in Adamawa State (Mubi and Yola), Borno state (Maiduguri, Monguno, Bama and Gwoza) and Yobe State (Damaturu). Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs in Primary Health Care PHC), Nutrition, Environmental Health (EH), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE), Protection, Child protection, Education, Food security & livelihoods.
- With a background of poor Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) indices, made worse by the ongoing humanitarian crises and advent of COVID-19 pandemic; the RMNCH outcomes in Northeast Nigeria could face a downturn, without intensified intervention.
- Over the years, the IRC has provided comprehensive package of SRH services (including Family Planning (FP), Antenatal Care (ANC), Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (BEmONC), Post-Natal Care (PNC), treatment and prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), Post Abortion Care (PAC) and Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS). IRC seeks to continue these services with the objective to ensure women and girls’ safety needs during the Covid 19 pandemic are met. Thus, we are recruiting to fill the vacant position of midwife supervisor.
- Under the direct supervision of the Health Manager, the Snr Health officer, the Nurse midwives will be responsible for implementation of these comprehensive package of Health and RH services in Mongonu LGA and will support other locations as assigned.
- The Nurse/midwives will assist the Health officer to oversee provision of basic health services at the IRC clinic in Stadium clinic and ensure quality and timely health and reproductive health care services while maintaining high level of ethical and professional standards.
- Provision of daily outpatient services at the integrated mobile clinic.
- Provide antenatal care, postnatal care, family planning counseling, STI counseling and treatment.
- Provide assistance in the emergency room as needed.
- Attend to patients admitted to the ward for observations, monitor their condition and report to the nursing officer or medical doctor as needed.
- Maintain accurate records on patient care, registration, treatment etc.
- Participate in continuous medical education program with the health team.
- Participate in health education program with the facility health team for waiting patients and clients.
- Participate in the cleanliness of the environment, adhering to infection prevention and control protocols
- Conduct additional tasks as requested by the Health officer facility in charge to assist in the running of the health facility on day-to-day basis.
- Ensure a good working relationship with all staff at the supported health facility.
- Keep inventories and supervise the use of medical devices, ensuring they are clean and follow up with logistics for regular maintenance.
Technical Support and Quality of Care Management:
- Ensures staff adherence to universal hygiene standards/precautions, appropriate waste management, bio-hazard prevention, infection prevention and control in the health facilities. Works with cleaning staff to maintain general cleanliness of the working environment.
- Liaise with the referral officer to facilitate referral of patients who need emergency or special care.
- Ensure all SRH services are in line with national/adopted protocols, and RH policies and guidelines
- Ensure all the staff follow the established IPC standards and international standard of infection prevention protocols.
- Ensure adherence to instrument processing and sterilization protocols.
- Conduct quarterly clinical skills’ assessment for midwife and follow up on areas that need improvement.
- Works with community mobilization team to ensure strong linkages between services and communities.
- Routinely monitor supervised the CHVs performance according to their job description, conduct performance evaluation and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Provide on-the-job trainings to all midwives and support staff, define their training needs, and support the RH manager to implement them according to project objectives.
- Provide supervisory support to the pharmacy technician and dispenser to ensure the availability of essential drugs and medical supplies at the facility as per the approved tracer drug list. Liaise with the pharmacy warehouse to prevent stock out of drugs, other medical supplies while working with the RH manager to procure other consumable required in the facilities.
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure time sheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly.
Representation, Project Implementation and Reporting:
- Focal person for intersectoral integration between Reproductive Health and Women Protection and Empowerment sector.
- Ensure teamwork and maintain relationship with different sectors and government agencies.
- Responsible for validation of program data and timely submission to M&E on weekly basis.
- Work with M&E team to analyze data on a weekly/monthly basis, feeds information back to the program, and adapts strategies accordingly.
- Provide weekly/monthly activity reports to the supervisor.
- Consistently and proactively monitors and assesses the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships
- Position directly reports to the Health officer
- Position directly supervises the pharmacy technician, incentive clinicians and CHVs
- Indirect reporting: Snr Health officer
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Health Program staff and managers, and ALL other IRC sectors
- External: Other partners- NGO’s, MOH etc.
- Registered Nurse / Midwife (Diploma in Nursing / Midwivery, Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Sciences an added advantage)
- Minimum of 2 years work experience as midwife
- Familiarity with local context and experience working with displaced population.
Others Desired Skills / Qualities:
- Quality oriented
- Self-motivated, resourceful, honest, highly responsible, committed, and punctual.
- Comfortable attending and facilitating meetings.
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize tasks, respect and adheres to deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead teams
- Basic computer literacy including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English for report writing
- Borno State is categorized as security phase 4 (Red). The midwife supervisor (and staff under his/her supervision) are thus expected to work closely with IRC safety and security team (SST) to receive routine security briefings and comply with all security protocols/ guidelines.
- Competitive Monthly salary.
- Health Insurance Coverage for staff and family.
- Annual earned leave days.
- Pension scheme
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online