United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer – Individual Contractor, Abuja
Reference No.: 538632
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Health, Consultancy
Purpose of Activity / Assignment
- The Public Health Laboratory Services is a department of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) that manages the National Reference Laboratory (NRL), regional reference laboratories and the network of NCDC collaborating laboratories across Nigeria. This department also provides diagnostic services for public health priority diseases like viral hemorrhagic fevers, meningitis, cholera, COVID-19, monkey pox through the National Reference Laboratory in Abuja and Central Public Health Laboratory in Lagos.
- The M&E officer will provide the technical and operational support for the execution of Gavi-approved interventions and other designated roles on COVID-19 preparedness and response in Nigeria.
- S/he also will build capacity towards improved laboratory response in NCDC’s National Reference Laboratory. He or she will be expected to lead all monitoring and evaluation activities for every laboratory bench and public health disease investigated in the National Reference Laboratory (NRL) and occasionally, will be required to support M &E activities across the NCDC’s network of laboratories.
- He/she will be responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning framework of projects. He/she will develop systematic monitoring frameworks to improve qualitative and quantitative evidence gathered from Projects and will also provide technical assistance to the implementing agencies, particularly in relation to monitoring, reporting and facilitation of use of data for action.
Scope of Work
Development/Refinement of M&E framework:
- Support the development of overall frameworks for project M&E and project Performance Monitoring Plan for the COVID-19, as well as the NRL and its network of laboratories
- Support the development and/or finalization of project work-plans and keep updated in accordance with project activities and timelines as relevant.
- Review the quality of existing data in project subject areas, methods of data collection, and the degree to which it will provide good baseline statistics for impact evaluation.
- Develop baseline data for each project component and for all project indicators.
- Review existing approaches and management information systems and agree on any required changes, support and resources.
- Develop a plan for project-related capacity-building on M&E for the NRL staff
M&E Implementation and Coordination:
- Collect data on a regular basis to measure achievement against KPIs
- Conduct data quality checks as required
- Maintain and administer the M&E database; analyse and aggregate findings for the NRL.
- Support project progress reporting, project mid-term review and final evaluation.
- Develop reports on M&E findings as required by stakeholders.
- Provide the Project Manager with management information s/he may require.
- Facilitate use of monitoring data in appropriate fora and in a timely fashion for decision-making. If necessary, create such discussions to fill any gap.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Director, Laboratory Services, NCDC.
- Master’s in international development, Public Health, Health Policy, Health System and Research, Demographics, Epidemiology, Health Management or similarly relevant fields. Advanced certificate in M&E, statistics or Economics and minimum of 5 years of experience in M/E in laboratory systems strengthening and/or laboratory quality management systems.
- The incumbent must have at least 2 years’ experience in medical laboratory science, molecular biology/diagnostics or similar fields
- Understanding of public health laboratory systems and functions
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders
Knowledge / Expertise / Skills required:
- Compelling evidence of interest in and commitment to the mission of Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and thought leadership abilities
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Reliable people manager, able to manage and promote inclusive and diverse teams within the organization;
- Fast learner, open to learning from peers, subordinates, and supervisors collaboratively and at a rapid pace;
- Results oriented performer, experienced in developing and tracking self and team with clear KPIs;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills,
- Experience in data analysis and/or statistics
- Experience in data gathering, extraction and qualitative research processes.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in report writing and project administration/management.
Application Closing Date
11th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Open for Nigerians only
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.