Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works tosave, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Job Identification: 3000285
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Job Category: Marketing and Communications
- CRS in Nigeria has grown exponentially with projects in the areas of agriculture, health and emergency response and recovery. There are more opportunities on the horizon in collaboration with our local partners.
- CRS will continue to work with traditional donors at the same time as exploring new linkages through cross-sector engagement (CSE) with government, private sector, universities, and research centers.
- These existing and new relationships require clear messaging on our expertise, innovations and how working together and sharing best practices will benefit the people we serve, the poor and vulnerable, as well as our partners through these new connections.
- To this end, CRS identifies the Marketing & Communications Manager position as a critical need to increase the agency’s profile throughout the country.
- CRS seeks to develop a targeted marketing and communications approach that is oriented towards securing additional program resources, building strategic partnerships and alliances, and promoting CRS’ contributions to the development of Nigeria and its partners.
- Through the Marketing & Communications Manager, CRS seeks to invest in internal and external country program communications, develop high quality communications materials for US media, and improve our positioning within the humanitarian community and donors.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications:
- Marketing Plan Development: The MCM will focus on developing, in close collaboration with the Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator and Business Development Specialist, a high-quality marketing and communications strategy to improve CRS Nigeria’s profile in the agriculture livelihoods, humanitarian and health program areas.
- Crafting Messages: The MCM, in collaboration with the relevant program team, will develop specific “pitches” tailored for each audience. These pitches will be finalized with HQ, regional, and/or country program staff before delivery.
- Marketing Materials: The MCM, in collaboration with the relevant teams, develop or update marketing materials (multi-media, print, posters, etc.) for various distribution and delivery methods. Develop briefing guides, feature stories, background statements, fact sheets, success stories, power point presentations, web releases and talking points that effectively transmit accurate and timely information about CRS in Nigeria.
- Resource Mobilization: In collaboration with the Business Development Specialist and the Leadership Team, refine or develop program communication strategies to best position CRS Nigeria to gain a competitive advantage with funder. This includes being in close contact with communication representatives of institutional funders to regularly provide stories, photos, and communication reports as required, as well as ensuring CRS Nigeria’s compliance with donor’s branding and marketing requirements.
- Media Relations: Under the direction of the Country Representative (CR) and Regional Communications Officer, manage media relations.
- Social Media: Act as the focal point for the CRS Nigeria Facebook account, posting Facebook country program updates 1-2 times per week. Generate ideas for FB posts, write the posts, seek approval for posts and schedule the posts. Ensure photographs meet standards for branding, photo credits and archiving; respond to any comments or messages on the page, if needed. Lead social media campaign partnerships as required and lead/support social media led SBCC campaigns. Access metrics including impressions, reach, conversion rates, growth rate and engagement. Additionally, be the focal point for generating CRS Nigeria content for HQ’s global SM.
- Representation & Networking: Support the planning and coordination of events, missions, VIP visits, under the leadership of the CR. Keep informed of initiatives and programmatic directions in the international and national NGO community in Nigeria. When requested by the CR, attend national and international organization events to represent CRS and its programs. Assist in coordinating HQ and donor delegations to CRS programs.
- Knowledge Management: In collaboration with specific members of the programming team, document SPA-based operational research, case studies and innovative practices for dissemination both inside CRS and to identified donors, government, private sector entities and other development and humanitarian actors. Oversee creation and management of effective web-based platforms for knowledge collection and dissemination and act as content manager of the platforms. Archive photos, video, fact sheets, training materials and other communications documents on CRS’ SharePoint site or other format and ensure they are accessible to program staff in a timely way.
- Internal Communications: develop high quality monthly newsletters in coordination with CRS staff to communicate CRS work to donors, Bishops and internally for CRS staff. Help conceive creative ideas and direction, working with writers and photographers/graphic designers within and outside the organization.
- Events Management: coordinate and organize major events for CRS programs and partners, including project launches, major donor visits and anniversary events. The MCM may be assigned to assist partners in organizing key partner events.
- Brand Management: Ensure that all project communications are appropriate for CRS’ strategy, identity and the changing operational environment in Nigeria, including but not limited to CRS’ project sites, project documents, video and visual pieces, media products. Take leadership in ensuring that all project communications are consistent with CRS’ branding and publications guidelines, global best practices and donor requirements.
- Training and Capacity Building: Facilitate and coach relevant CRS Nigeria staff and partners on best practices in marketing and brand management.
- Reporting Activities: Keep CRS’ Regional Information Manager, based in Dakar, regularly updated on key communications events, programmatic developments, success stories, high-profile visits, and the similar for onward communication to CRS/HQ and potentially the US Media.
- Draft scopes of work and provide supervision to field level CRS and partners staff as required.
- Consultants for events management, photography and videography
Basic Qualifications (BQs)
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related studies; experience in INGOs or UN preferred
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in development and relief programs or business on marketing and communication activities
- Ability to work with stakeholders on multiple levels including government agencies, non- governmental organizations, donors, media groups, religious groups (Catholic, Muslim, etc) and CRS staff
- Proven inter-personal skills and ability to influence through communication
- Demonstrable track record of successfully disseminating information to a variety of target audiences
- Capacity to plan, coordinate, organize and schedule and deliver outputs to a specified deadlines.
- Visual literacy and visual communication competencies and skills in publication design
- Experience with managing organizational social media accounts, especially Facebook.
- Understanding of major issues of international development and donor assistance
- Flexibility to work both in a team and independently
- Cultural sensitivity, patience and flexibility
- Demonstrated personal accountability and driven to serve others
- Understanding of and experience with faith-based organizations, local church structures, and accompaniment and capacity-building principles in local partnerships highly desired
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills
- Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and desktop publishing skills
- Experience in Adobe Indesign is strongly desired
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Mature disposition in appropriately managing sensitive situations
- Nigerian nationals only
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, is strongly desired.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship.
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2022 (11:52 AM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- CRS talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
- EOE / M / F / D / V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions).