The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Associate, Geographic Information Systems & Information Management (GIS & IM) SC7
Requisition ID: 144742
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureau (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders may either perform administrative support functions in the front office and report to the Business Support Associate, or provide administrative support to team(s) with the reporting line to the relevant Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the relevant Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate.
- At this level, work is carried out under minimal supervision. Job holders are expected to produce organized and accurate work, undertaking specific business support activities.
- They may offer guidance on standard practices to more junior staff in their area of work
- To deliver information management and global information system support processes for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
- The IMO will act as the focal point for collecting, analyzing and disseminating logistics information, in close coordination with logistics and information personnel of other UN organizations and NGOs involved in the humanitarian response, and national authorities.
Information Management (IM):
- Produce Logistics Sector products/reports in Logistics Sector product formats or specific formats as required within the operation ensuring they are regularly revised/updated if required. Key products include: Situation updates, bulletins, snapshots, briefings, situation updates.
- Liaise with Logistics Sector/Cluster partners, other Sectoral partners, and national counterparts to gather information to produce daily sitreps and weekly bulletins, ensuring that challenges and concerns relating to the logistics operation are represented.
- Support the Logistics Sector Coordinator as required in drafting donor proposals.
- Manage content of Logistics Sector country operations page – in close coordination with Global Logistics Cluster support team in Rome.
- Establish, moderate, and maintain the Logistics Cluster mailing list.
- Standardize and execute quality control of logistics assessments and activity reports.
- Provide reports internally to WFP with inputs on Logistics Cluster activities; Liaise regularly with reports officers in other agencies and NGOs.
- Establish and maintain internal information sharing mechanisms, documentation formats, assessment formats, central file storage.
- Recognize and assess the sensitivity of information obtained; Respect the confidential nature of sources of information where relevant.
- Prepare and disseminate the agendas for Logistics Sector coordination meetings and trainings, compile presentation, and ensure meeting minutes are recorded.
- Support the Coordinator in preparing, disseminating, and consolidating the results of any necessary partner surveys.
- Perform other tasks as required.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Spatial Data:
- Identify the most appropriate methodology to source and map information that can be used for advocacy in addressing issues in partner logistics needs
- Establish priority special data collection/processing activities based on emerging information requirements
- Identify and validate information sources such as local civil authorities, military entities, international agencies and organizations, and international and national non – governmental organizations
- Ensure the smooth delivery of newly acquired special data from the field for cleaning and processing.
- Establish and maintain a GIS database to maintain critical logistical information.
- Receive and fill map requests for new map products for internal and external partners.
- Determine data requirements to produce agreed mapping products.
- Produce maps in a standardized fashion for distribution in both hard copy and on the Logistics Sector website.
- Produce updates to standard maps by incorporating updated data layers.
- Produce a catalogue of map products, coordinate with the headquarters standards to keep the website updated.
- Maintain inventory of maps and map making materials in the Logistics Sector office.
- Organize logistics-related trainings, including collection and dissemination of training materials.
- Provide GPS data collection training exercises among the humanitarian community in the field
Standard Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- University Degree in Social Sciences, Global Information Systems, Communications, Journalism or related field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in an international context, preferably in Information Management, GIS, data collection or cartography. Previous experience in emergencies is a plus.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure as part of a team;
- Good communication skills; excellent written and analytical skills;
- Basic knowledge of logistics operations and humanitarian reform/cluster concept;
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Windows, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint
- Thorough knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop application.
- Extensive knowledge of global information systems and cartography.
- Willingness to work in challenging environments/field locations.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of Hausa is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian Nationals are or candidates who have valid Nigerian residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- The contract is 12 months on a Fixed Term level, with possibility of renewal.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply