Jhpiego’s mission is to develop innovative, evidence-based solutions to improve the quality of health care for women and their families. The organization works in partnership with governments, health care providers, and other stakeholders to build the capacity of local health systems and ensure that they are able to provide high-quality, sustainable health care services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Landscape Analysis Consultant
Job ID: 2023-4992
Category: International Positions
Employment Status: Full-Time
- Water, Sanitation and Infection prevention programs contribute to the containment of healthcare associated infections and remain a cornerstone of health system resiliency and preparedness. Despite this, major gaps in basic water, sanitation, hygiene, waste management and cleaning services continue to exist in health care facilities (HCFs) and have further been brought to the limelight in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Recent studies show that a quarter of all HCFs around the world have no basic water services, with 857 million people having no access to water when they use health care facilities. Approximately 10% of HCFs globally have no sanitation services and half (49%) of health care facilities globally have no basic hand hygiene service, including availability of functional hand hygiene facilities at points of care, and within five metres of toilets. In sub Saharan Africa, only 39% of health care facilities safely segregate waste into at least three bins, with sharps and infectious waste are treated and disposed of safely. Global data is insufficient to estimate the quality of cleaning services, but available sub-national data suggests that professionalized and effective cleaning services are rare within health systems. WASH services are especially deficient in least-developed countries (LDCs). In LDCs, half of HCFs lack basic water services. In sub-Saharan Africa, only 13% of health care facilities have basic sanitation services (with usable improved sanitation facilities, including at least one toilet dedicated for staff, at least one sex-separated toilet with menstrual hygiene facilities, and at least one toilet accessible for people with limited mobility). Only Seven out of ten HCFs in LDCs lack basic health care waste management services.
- USAID’s Momentum Country and Global Leadership (MCGL) Project is conducting a landscape analysis to understand the key characteristics and enabling factors of viable and effective water, sanitation, waste management, cleaning, and disinfection/sterilization service delivery models for HCFs, compare service models across high, middle and low-income settings, and make recommendations for an improvement agenda for funders, governments, and implementing partners.
- The consultant will support WSUP to conduct in-depth key informant interviews in the selected countries. In each country, the consultant will liaise with MCGL staff to connect with relevant stakeholders, collect and analyze information/data, draft reports and disseminate activity learning.
- The consultant will analyze, consolidate, and present findings from Phase II to MCGL at the end of the activity.
- Conduct country-level key informant interviews – 6 days
- Analyze results in collaboration with WSUP – 10 days
- Draft and finalize country briefs and consolidated report on Phase II findings, incorporating findings from phase 1 report – 13 days
- Advanced Degree in Public / Global Health, Environmental Engineering, International Relations or another related field
- Familiarity with service delivery policies and stakeholders within the global water, sanitation, hygiene, waste management and cleaning sectors
- Knowledge of service delivery models, contracting arrangements and funding models for water, sanitation, hygiene, waste management and cleaning services
- Experience in designing, implementing, and analyzing qualitative research activities
- Experience leading the development of and writing technical reports
- Strong communication, analytical and writing skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience with qualitative data collection (e.g. Key informant interviews, focus group discussions etc.).
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online