The Lagos State University ( LASU ), located at Ojo, was established as a Public University in 1983 by the enabling law of Lagos State. Established with the vision of pursuing the advancement of learning and academic excellence, the university has been unrelenting in the pursuit of its mission of becoming a citadel of learning, a community with the trademark of excellence in teaching, research and service to humanity, a catalyst as well as an agent for development.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the vacant academic position below in the School of Transport, Lagos State University:
Title: Lagos State Government Professorial Chair of Transport Studies
Faculty: School of Transport
- The endowed professorship (or Endowed Chair) is a position that draws monthly salary and other allowances from the endowment fund specifically set up for purpose and for scholarly / creative / research support.
- Occupant of the chair must, among others, have an acceptable academic orientation or focus and should be able to organise one or more public lectures annually
- He / she will also engage in advance research in his / her area of specializations and submit an annual report of his / her activities to the Vice Chancellor. This report is then forwarded to Lagos State Government, the donor of the Chair.
The Chair aims at obtaining global expertise to strengthen research and teaching in Transport Studies. The Professor appointed to the Char will:
- Teach, conduct research, initiate development strategies and encourage innovation Transport Studies;
- Offer advice to Lagos State Government on critical transportation challenges in State;
- Take specific research briefs from Lagos State Government or the State Commissioner for Transport through Lagos State University;
- Attract grants and goodwill in funding and sustaining the Professorial Chair;
- Promote, package and disseminate information for public awareness to solve transportation challenges of Lagos State in particular and Nigeria in general;
- Develop transportation management policies in line with global best practice;
- Provide pro bono community service, including consultations (such as advising government and non-profit making organizations) on transport issues;
- Mentor and assess students in their academic training and research including supervision of thesis.
- The appointment of Professorial Chair shall be for a 5-year term with eligibility for reappointment upon satisfactory performance.
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates must possess a Ph.D in Transport Studies or related field with Ten  years Post Doctoral teaching / research experience in a University or a Research / Training Institute
- Candidate must also possess adequate scholarly publications, administrative experience as well as demonstrable academic leadership
- An Associate Professor of at least Three (3) years or a serving Professor with considerable Teaching / Research experience in a University may also apply
- Candidates should have demonstrable capacity to participate in inter- multidisciplinary research in addition to reasonable administrative experience.
- Candidate for the position of Endowed Professorial Chair of Transport Studies must not be more than Sixty (60) years of age.
- Remuneration will be as obtainable in Nigerian Universities.
Application Closing Date
2nd February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are to submit a formal Application Letter with Thirty (30 copies of detailed Curriculum Vitae and photocopies of credentials [O’ Level Result inclusive]. The Curriculum Vitae should be presented in the following order:
- Name in Full with Surname first (BOLDLY WRITTEN)
- Place and Date of Birth
- State of Origin
- Permanent Address
- Current Postal Address
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Academic / Professional Qualifications (with dates and institutions)
- Statement of Experience including full details of former and present position
- Current Research
- List of Publications
- Other activities outside current employment
- Name, Address and Contact Phone Numbers of three (3) referees
- Contact Phone and E-mail Address (SELF)
- Proposed date of availability for duty if appointed.
All applications with credentials should be addressed to:
Lagos State University,
Badagry Expressway, Ojo
P. M.B. 0001,
Lagos State University Post Office, Ojo,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.