Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infrastructure Assistant (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Ref No: 200000L5
Job: Program Management
Job Type: Full-time
- CRS’ Nigeria office is implementing a 2-year, Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
- Under the supervision of the Infrastructure Officer, the post holder will participate in community-led needs assessment, engineering technical assessments, analysis, designs and engineering drawing of community infrastructure projects including preparing bills of quantities, supervising / implementing community infrastructure activities and ensuring quality construction implementation of infrastructure projects.
- The post holder will similarly be responsible for field monitoring the vendors / construction company activities adhering to established monitoring processes for works, ensuring safety of construction teams, adherence to KFW, Government of Nigeria and CRS construction policies and legislation. The post holder will ensure compliance with International Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) standards on site.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Technical Support:
- Support the production of technical designs and drawings for selected infrastructure projects according to relevant engineering standards within the state.
- Support the preparation of bill of materials for cash for work projects and bills of quantities for contractor-led infrastructure projects.
- Support preparing project specifications, QA/QC plans for infrastructure activities.
- Participate in technical assessments for infrastructure feasibility and design.
- Support the preparation and validation of community infrastructure rehabilitation plans.
- Participate in community engagement at all stages of project implementation.
- Supervise community-led and private sector-led construction to ensure adherence to approved technical designs, drawings and specifications.
- Participate in routine monitoring construction projects and reports on construction progress based on established process, ensuring requisite safety precautions are taken during construction in accordance with KFW and CRS policies and guidelines
- Report any variations with implementation of project activities to line manager.
- Work with partner staff with community leaders to identify both skilled and unskilled CFW beneficiaries. Oversee the training of CFW beneficiaries.
- Work with partner staff to prepare weekly projections including tools and material needs including cash projections for CFW payments to ensure enough materials and money is available.
- Work with partner staff to ensure transparency of CFW activities at community level.
- Work with partner staff to establish, train and mentor infrastructure operation and maintenance (O&M) committees.
- Other duties as requested by STaR infrastructure Officer and Infrastructure Manager
Coordination and Representation:
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities to draft community infrastructure rehabilitation plans (CIRPs).
- Participate to ensure coordination of CRS Infrastructure activities with similar initiatives funded by other donors / implemented by government MDAs / various stakeholders.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- In coordination with the MEAL Assistant and Infrastructure Officer and, support capturing of MEAL data on infrastructure component.
- Ensure timely provision of information for completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT) as it relates to Infrastructure activities and deliverables.
- Contribute to ensuring accountability to project beneficiaries and local stakeholders
- Higher National Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Building, Civil Engineering or any relevant field.
- 2 years overall experience in construction design and on-site construction supervision
- Experience in implementing community infrastructure projects.
- Proves experience with AutoCAD, RCC spreadsheets and other common software in structural designs.
- Required Languages – English, Hausa,
- Travel – Must be willing to travel up to 75 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Supervisory Responsibilities None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Infrastructure Officer, Infrastructure manager, Governance Officer, Livelihoods Assistant, MEAL officer, MEAL Assistant, SILC Assistant, and Yobe Head of Office.
- External: STaR project Implementing partners, local and international NGOs, Local coordination platforms, LGA officials, Ward / Village Development committees, Community leaders, and Government Ministries Departments and Agencies.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- EOE / M / F / D / V -CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.