Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Promoter Supervisor
Location: NOMA Project, Sokoto
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- In close collaboration with the Health Promotion IEC (Information, Education, Communication) Activities Manager, implementing and supervising educational campaigns according to MSF values, standards and procedures in order to increase awareness of the targeted population and to promote prevention and treatment of diseases in the project area.
- In close collaboration with the Health Promotion manager, participating in the definition and update of the Health Promotion / Information Education Communication strategy and identifying indicators in order to monitor Health Promotion activities, results, and achievements
- Supporting the Health Promotion manager in organizing and carrying out assessments and research on the impact of Health Promotion activities and identifying and reporting the constraints, difficulties or strength points of the HP strategy inside and outside the medical structures in order to reinforce the link between the communities and the project
- Providing support in selecting and developing quality pedagogical communication strategies towards the community. Planning information campaigns, including targets, objectives, methods and goals in order to increase awareness among the targeted population.
- Informing, according to protocols, community members and identified risk groups (prisons, army, sexual workers, etc.) about health related issues
- Organizing health awareness sessions for MSF’s medical and non-medical staff
- Identifying key actors (local authorities, local NGOs, traditional healers, formal or informal authorities) and being the focal point for the networking in order to support the dissemination of health information of the target population, and be the point of reference for the relation and networking with these subjects
- Organizing, training, and supervising the HP team in terms of planning and organizing their work, supporting, evaluating and coaching of personnel, collecting reports and reporting the activities of each health worker and regularly visiting communities that are under his/her responsibility
- Supervising, in close collaboration with the HR department, the HR associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring cleanliness of IEC (information, education and communication) areas
- Collecting and reporting to the medical team any information linked to the health situation of the population and the patient.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Plan, organize and supervise the implementation of all health promotion activities in the NOMA children Hospital and Outreach according to the project’s HPCE strategy
- Establish strong community engagement platforms with stakeholders at all levels of service delivery and ensure that traditional leaders, patients and the general community take a leading role in improving their health.
- Coordinate the review / adaptation / development of all IEC materials for NOMA including pretesting and translation to local language with technical support from IECHP Flying Manager
- On weekly basis, liaise with the NAM to identify and discuss challenges encountered with NOMA patients (quality of care, poor adherence to treatment including missed appointments etc.) on a regular basis in order to establish solution for resolving the issues
- Be responsible for the daily functional, management of the Health Promotion department in collaboration with MoH and attend meetings, trainings, workshops as requested with support from the NAM and IECHP Flying Manager
- Identify challenges faced by the NOMA patients in the community, proactively engage with community members through focal and key persons, and together find appropriate solutions
- Collaborate with the NAM and focal persons on daily basis and ensure support to all medical needs identified for the best interest of the NOMA patients
- In collaboration with NAM and focal persons, organize the pick-up of NOMA patients from the community to the Hospital for treatment and surgical interventions
- Ensure smooth and consistent collaboration with stakeholders including Ministry of Health staff and contact persons in health promotion activities in the community
- Perform health promotion sessions in the Noma Children Hospital to the outpatient and inpatient departments on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences (Sociology, Social Work), Health Promotion, Public or Environmental Health
- Essential working experience in MSF (1 year minimum) in health promotion activities, or training-education activities.
- Experience in supervision.
- English is essential, local language desirable.
- Computer Literacy (Ms Word, Excel and Internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Stress Management L3.
Application Closing Date
30th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one application should be submitted as multiple applications will NOT be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organisation