The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Governance and Human Rights Division
Requisition ID: 648
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Director, Governance and Conflict Prevention
Directorate: Governance and Conflict Prevention
Division: Governance and Human Rights
Number of Direct Reports: 4
Number of Indirect Reports: 6
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Governance and Human Rights Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Provides advice on governance, human rights, public service and administration, housing and urban development, decentralization and local development issues.
- Supervises Staff of the Division in organizing seminars, workshops and other related activities in the field of governance, human rights, public service and administration, housing and urban development, decentralization and local development issues with various stakeholders.
- Supervises the preparation of reports of activities and specific missions;
- Liaises with the AU Regional Offices on governance, human rights, public service and administration, housing and urban development, decentralization and local development issues.
- Creates strategies for mainstreaming governance, human rights, public service and administration, housing and urban development, decentralization and local development issues in the programs of the African Union.
- Develops appropriate working relations with AU Organs and partners of African Union on issues relating to governance, human rights, public service and administration, housing and urban development, decentralization and local development; and
- Performs any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Masters Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Human Rights, Constitutional Law or any other discipline related to the major duties with twelve (12) years of experience of which seven (7) years should be at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international peace building initiatives
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact .
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications Closing Date
2nd August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online