The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Division DDR / SSR
Requisition ID: 645
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Governance and Conflict Prevention
Directorate: Governance and Conflict Prevention
Division: Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) and Security Sector Reform (SSR)
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of the Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) and Security Sector Reform (SSR) (DDR/SSR) Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Manages daily operations of the DDR/SSR Division according to Organizational structure and goals of the Division;
- Coordinates and oversees the daily operations of the various units of the Division;
- Designs DDR/SSR counter-terrorism programmes and projects and provide guidance on the work of the Division;
- Oversees the preparation of studies and policy development in the areas of SSR, DDR and counter-terrorism for presentation to the AU Policy Organs;
- Represents the division in management and indifferent meetings and ensure the Director and Commissioner PAPs are informed of critical issues requiring intervention and decision;
- Ensures effective communication flow to and from the Division through the Director to the Commissioner of PAPs;
- Performs any additional tasks as delegated and by the supervisor; and
- Represents the Commission in high-level technical forums, meetings and conferences.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Masters Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, Law, Defense and Security or any other related disciplines with twelve (12) years progressive relevant experience out of which seven (7) years should be at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Experience in managing SSR, DDR or counter-terrorism programmes and formulating strategies and policies in these areas at national or regional levels is an added advantage.
- Certifications in SSR or DRR are an added advantage.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international peacebuilding initiatives
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
2nd August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.