Plan International is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Global Environmental Specialist
Type of Role: Permanent or maximum fixed term contract as per employing office’s standard terms and conditions
Reports To: Dual Reporting to Head of Supply Chain & Head of Facilities
- Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
- We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives.
- We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
- We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
- This position supports the implementation of the commitments on the greening of operations and programmes, providing thought leadership and strategic direction on environmental sustainability.
Dimensions of the Role
- The position collates and responds to internal environmental sustainability information from Plan Entities including Global Hub, Regional Hubs, Country Offices, Programme Units, Liaison Offices and National Organisations.
- All environmental sustainability reporting will be led by this position, for both internal and external requirements. This will include feeding into Plan International’s Worldwide Annual Review.
- The post has no direct reports but maintains regular communication with staff from Plan Entities who have environmental reporting and management responsibilities as per the Environmental Policy.
- The position will deal with contractors or consultants appointed for services or advice on environmental sustainability from time to time.
- The post has no permanent budget responsibility but may have project or workshop budgets to manage.
- The post holder will prepare reports and presentations for distribution and communication within Plan International and present these in relevant events or networks.
- All Plan Entities are aware of the Global Policy on the Environment and receive technical support on the environmental sustainability aspects of the policy (both humanitarian action and development programmes).
- Provide technical assistance for Plan International on environmental sustainability.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Global Policy on the Environment commitments on greening operations.
- Support Plan Entities in implementing the global policy by providing technical support for the development of operational procedures, tools and standards to mainstream and implement the commitments on reducing GHG emissions and defining and implementing entity-level targets for environmental sustainability.
- Lead discussions and facilitate coordination mechanisms for sharing of best practise and lessons learned across the Federation on environmental sustainability.
- Prepare training and awareness-raising materials to support the dissemination and socialisation of the policy commitments on environmental sustainability and advise localisation of the materials for different contexts of Plan’s work.
- Prepare instructions for collecting data on policy commitments and ensure that they are properly communicated clearly and appropriately to all stakeholders and those responsible for data collection.
- When required, initiate the revisions of the policy commitments through a Climate Change Centre of Excellence and collaborative process involving the Climate and Resilience Network.
- High level coordination with the three other roles assigned within the CoE to ensure internal coherence and synergies.
- High level of contact and close working relationship with identified personnel responsible for environmental impact reporting and assessment of environmental risks from different Plan Entities (GH, RHs, Liaison Offices, NOs).
- The post holder will liaise closely with the International Headquarters Group Reporting Manager
- There will be a moderate level of contact with Deputy Regional Directors, Regional Finance Managers, Regional Administration Managers and NO Finance Managers, particularly around key reporting exercises, communications and action plans
- There will be periodic contact with Plan’s senior management teams to report findings and develop action plans and targets
- the Disaster Risk management function, with the Strategy function and with the Group Legal function.
- This post must report to regulatory reporting services
- The position will participate in relevant environmental networks and liaise with environmental experts in peer organisations as required
- The position will coordinate the work of consultants periodically.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree in relevant area (e.g. Environment, Climate Change, Sustainability); or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience in the context ofinternational development cooperation – environmental sustainability, humanitarian response & recovery and/or community resilience programming .
- Knowledge and awareness of environmental management and reporting systems, emerging standards, and best practices in the area of greener programming – reducing environmental impacts and addressing environmental risks.
- Knowledge of cross-cutting environmental topics for the development and humanitarian sector, such as waste management, household energy, nature-based solutions, etc.
- Knowledge of minimum standards for environmental performance and accountability frameworks.
- Knowledge of child rights and gender equality.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use the information received and to analyse trends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to represent Plan International and to negotiate and influence people’s opinions.
- Flexible and adaptable to work effectively in a multicultural environment and ability to travel at short notice.
- Computer knowledge as a user: self-supporting in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience in climate information systems and interpretation of GIS-based data is an advantage.
- Provides vision and direction
- Promotes high performance
- Promotes continuous improvement, innovation and learning
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Behaves consistently in approach to work and decision making.
We will be happy to disclose the salary and applicable benefits to applicants as part of this process, however, please kindly note that the salary and employment benefits will be set according to your location and therefore it is not possible to include full details here.
Application Closing Date
12th January, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information
- Please respond to the requirements of the role in your cover letter.
- Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
About Plan International
Plan International is an autonomous, non-profit development and humanitarian organisation that promotes girls’ equality and children’s rights. We advocate for children’s rights from conception to maturity, and we give them the tools they need to anticipate and overcome challenges. We believe in every child’s strength and potential, but we are aware that this is frequently stifled by poverty, violence, exclusion, and discrimination.