Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager – Humanitarian
Location: Maiduguri – Borno
- The purpose of this role is to ensure financial accountability for all Humanitarian projects grant according to Plan International and donor requirements.
- Timely prepare and review all financial report and ensures they have been accurately completed.
- Supervises the accounting functions handled by the Field Offices.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions. The post holder will contribute towards financial management of all Humanitarian programmes, interfacing with both operations and programme team members. The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan International Nigeria’s implementing partners.
- Direct supervision of Humanitarian Projects Finance Coordinators.
- Management of all Humanitarian projects budget at the Country Office and Project implementing areas.
- Ensure the respect of the financial procedures and standards of the organization.
- Ensure that Country Finance Manager and Humanitarian project teams are provided with timely data and analysis to support effective financial management, reporting, effective decision-making and the optimal use of resources.
- Contribute and/or follow-up with the timely set-up in SAP of Humanitarian projects.
- Ensure Humanitarian projects Key Performance Indicators are on track.
- Support the preparation of budgets for grant proposals.
- Communicate instructions and milestones for business planning, budgeting and cash forecast, reporting etc. to all Humanitarian finance staff.
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control of all Humanitarian projects for effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role will:
- Review and consolidate the annual plans and budgets of all Humanitarian projects as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Monitor all Humanitarian projects budgets to ensure spend as per plan to avoid over/under spending.
- Reviews monthly project IGF (Indicative Grants Funding) reports prepared by Humanitarian Projects Finance /Coordinators.
- Review quarterly Project KP06 budget prepared by Humanitarian Project Finance /Coordinators.
- Prepare a master budget and keep it updated throughout the year.
Prepare Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision-making. To do this, the role will:
- Assist in the preparation of country’s financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
- Ensure that the periodic financial report to donors is accurate, with the appropriate template and timely share with the CO.
- Support the preparation of monthly budget vs Actual spending report for all Humanitarian projects in time.
- Review monthly Target bank balance (TBB) report for all Humanitarian projects dedicated bank accounts.
- Review monthly Partners unliquidated advances report for all Humanitarian projects.
- Review monthly-unliquidated advances report for all Humanitarian staff.
- Assist the CFM in the preparation of the Q1, Q2 (half year-end), Q3 and Q4 year-ends financial schedules.
- Make quarterly support visit to Humanitarian project offices/field visits and submit report.
- Carry out identified capacity building trainings for Humanitarian staff and partners.
- Ensure prepaid expenses, prepaid rent, accruals etc. are submitted timely to CO.
Support Project offices Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting to ensure the availability of funds for project operations. To do this, the role will:
- Reviews project offices monthly Cash forecast and forward for consolidation.
- Ensure prompt transfer of funds from CO to project offices bank account.
- Reviews monthly bank reconciliation statement and receipt reconciliation reports for all Humanitarian projects accounts.
Manage the operations of the SAP system for all Humanitarian project to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure regular follow up with relevant departments responsible for sections of FAD set-up in SAP.
- Taking responsibility for the Finance set-up in SAP as well as supporting project closure.
- Undertake accuracy checks to ensure all transactions entered in SAP are correct.
- Regularly review NRGRANT status to ensure grant-related expenditures are charged on applicable grants WBS.
- Ensure correct use of WBS (work breakdown structure) for all requisitions and journals.
- Carryout regular review of the GR/IR Account to ensure compliance to SAP related indicator.
- Review and share monthly NRGRANT and GR/IR report for all Humanitarian projects
- Post all intercompany recharges with respect to Humanitarian projects.
- Carry out all required month-end procedures before SAP is closed.
- Support maintain a good filing for all Humanitarian related payment vouchers and reports.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure payments made are as per Plan’s approved policies, procedures, and that of the donor rules and regulations.
- Review the finance sections of purchase requisitions, advance requests, liquidations, and purchase orders for financial conformity.
- Support the review of cheques for the Humanitarian projects.
- Ensures appropriate financial controls processes, procedures and systems are in place and adhered to.
- Prepare Finance related audit action list for all audit initiatives and ensure its implementation.
- Carry out agreed actions to address weaknesses in financial controls to mitigate risk.
- Ensure all expected costs are monthly and accurately recovered from the projects.
- Ensure that the filling of the financial and payment documents is done by project and make a periodic control
- Assist in getting the monthly signed salary sheet sent to CO for filing.
Support the accurate and timely payment of statutory deductions. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure withholding tax is deducted and paid to the respective statutory bodies.
- Support vendors/consultants etc. with information of their WHT payments.
- Ensure yourself and direct reports’ IAPs, six months’ appraisals and annual appraisals are timely completed and documented.
- Provide training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity and team building.
- Keep Supervisor informed of any initiative or difficulties related to job responsibilities.
- Fulfils Plan’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ensures adherence to the Country’s financial and accounting requirements as per requirements of the Operations Manual (OM) and other organizational policies and procedures to support sound financial management within the organisation.
- Offers support through coaching and training of staff to ensure improvement in performance and financial practices.
- Be creative in building and working effectively within a diverse working environment.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient finance and grants team.
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues.
- Refer, whenever necessary, any case to the CFM and/or the ERM for support.
Human Resource Development:
- Supports and builds capacity of programs staff to ensure a high level of quality finance and grants management.
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of partner staff when required in line with Organizational requirements.
Learning and knowledge management:
- Shares relevant financial information within the Programme team, supporting the proper documentation of all financial aspects of the programmes.
- Support resource mobilization efforts through contribution to budget preparation for proposal writing and related engagements.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Maintains high contact with other staff from the field office and country offices to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked to the Humanitarian projects.
- Work with other departments to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent;
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Fair knowledge in grants and project management.
- Knowledge and use of accounting software (Preferably SAP)
- Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes for all stakeholders for implementing grant projects.
- Strong team-building skills, Organized and methodical.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Good supervisory & coordination skills and ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Fair knowledge of project planning, management, supervision, monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- This position entails about 30% travelling within the field office implementing area.
Application Closing Date
28th January, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online