The British Council is United Kingdom’s representative abroad for educational and intercultural affairs. We promote knowledge and understanding between people from the UK and other countries that is mutually beneficial. By having a beneficial influence on the UK and the countries we work with, we are able to improve lives by developing connections, opportunity, and trust. In the areas of arts and culture, English as a second language, education, and civil society, we collaborate with more than 100 nations worldwide. We communicate with more than 20 million people in person each year and more than 500 million online through broadcasts and publications.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Contract Type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 6 months (January 2023 – June 2023)
- The Finance team is looking to engage interns to support the financial control team in carrying out basic tasks that will support them in gaining field experience and learn essential industry skills.
- The intern will have the opportunity to put to practice their accounting knowledge and skills in a professional setting as they gain more experience to further their career in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Financial Accountant (SFA), the duties will include but not limited to:
- Finance administrative support
- Support AP and AR accountant
- Support in filling monthly tax returns with relevant tax authorities
- Prepare financial documents and journal entries for accuracy
- All other tasks as may be assigned by the SFA
Learning and Development Opportunities:
- The intern will have an opportunity to gain hands-on accounting experience and learn about the various aspects of the accounting function in a multinational organisation
- Develop a whole new set of cross-disciplinary skills for your future career.
- Becoming familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment
- Introduction and experience working with SAP
Management and Support for the Role:
- The intern will report to the Senior Financial Accountant based in Lagos.
- S/he will be expected to work closely with other members of the Finance team.
Essential: The ideal candidate should:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Basic knowledge of MsWord and MsExcel
- Interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication
- The ability to be discreet when handling sensitive financial information
- A willingness to learn
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Experience in development of statistics, charts in Excel
- All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in country of application.
- The British Council will not facilitate/sponsor visa applications and work permits.
Remuneration and Benefits
- The intern will be paid equivalent N130,000 per month
- Health Insurance (HMO) will be provided for interns who are on 6 months or more
- Group Life Insurance will be provided for all interns during throughout the duration of their internship.
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2022. (23:59 South Africa Time)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This is a short-term intern position; intern roles are not a prelude to longer term employment with the organisation. If opportunities for further paid employment arise, these will be advertised and interns who apply will be considered against the same criteria as other applicants.
- Necessary adjustments will be made for staff with disability where necessary.