The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.32
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Slot: 2 Openings
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Overall supervision of Head Sub office and under the general guidance of Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) and direct supervision of Resource Management Officer (RMO) the incumbent will be responsible for implementing finance activities in Lagos sub office particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform payment reconciliation to confirm validity of charges in accounting system (SAP) against Payment Request before uploading payment on banking platform
- Pay attention to the accuracy of data entry in SAP and make sure that correct GL and WBS are charged and that the charges are within the project duration.
- Maintain a filing system and ensure proper custody of financial documents, vouchers, bank correspondence, etc. Ensure that prior to filing the paid documents are stamped “PAID”.
- Perform E-filling as needed and make sure all document posted are digitally archived.
- Enter payments, receipts and non-cash vouchers in field accounting system SAP; carry out monthly closure and prepare accounting returns for submission to RAS;
- Review and ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers; verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request;
- Assist with the maintenance of an effective banking system including preparing a monthly bank reconciliation.
- In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable time
- Retrieve filed and archived documents when needed for audit or other queries within the set time frames and assist in preparation of responses to queries.
- Assist in preparation of funding requests to HQ and ensure that sufficient funds are available locally.
- Bring to the attention of the supervisor any relevant financial and budgetary issues.
- Assist RMO in analysis on expenditure on any given Project and assist in producing reports as requested by the RMO or the delegate.
- Compute travel claims, imprest accounts and verify authenticity of the supporting documents provided.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with four years of relevant working experience or minimum of two Years experience in related field.
- Interfaces across units and departments within IOM to extract relevant information.
- Communicates clearly and consistently.
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge of finance.
- Effectively works with vendors and service providers in compliance with IOM procedures to secure cost-effective quality solutions for IOM.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Ability to work in multicultural and multi-ethnic environments.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, approach, and coordinate with stakeholders of diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
29th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the position applied on subject line.
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.32 Lagos, Nigeria. Finance Assistant G4.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.