African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Junior Consultant Supporting Transport Infrastructure and Urban Development Operations in Country Office Mozambique (COMZ) – PICU
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Consultant Type: Individual Consultant
Job Family: Other
Department Issuing the Request: Infrastructure and Urban Development Department
Duration of the Assignment: Eight (8) months
Tentative Date of Commencement: April 2023
Brief Description of the Assignment
- Supporting the Country Transport Sector Specialist with project cycle activities including business development, project origination and portfolio management.
- The African Development Bank hereby invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Junior Consultant Supporting the Infrastructure and Urban Development Department.
- The Mozambique Country Office (“COMZ” or the “Office” will require the services of a Junior Consultant Supporting Infrastructure and Urban Development (“the Consultant”) to assist in the delivery of the Department’s activities in Mozambique.
- The African Development Bank Country Office in Maputo (COMZ), inaugurated in February 2006, was established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the concerned governments, development partners, the private sector, and the civil society, in the design of its development policy and programs, as well as on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the poverty reduction strategy.
- The Office also seeks to assist the operational functions of the Bank Group in portfolio management in Mozambique.
- The major functions of the Office fall under the following key areas: country programming, improved portfolio management, policy dialogue, facilitation of procurement and disbursement, capacity building, promotion of regional integration, technical and advisory assistance to the government, and enhanced coordination and harmonization with development partners.
- COMZ’s deliverables include, among other things: economic analyses, economic and sector work, analyses of sectorial development issues, data collection and analysis of impact and development effectiveness, tracking of reports on technical support to operations management teams, support the donor coordination, communications on COMZ activities to the local press and HQ, etc.
- The Consultant will focus on supporting the programmes and project, providing additional support to the Transport Specialist in delivering the lending programme, supervision and implementation support to projects, coordination with donors and other partners, participation in working groups, and produce other relevant documents as needed.
The Transport Sector in Mozambique:
- COMZ is very active in the Transport Sector with a total approved loans reaching over UA 300 million for the development of the national key axes with particular impact on agricultural development as well as improved regional trade flow. The Bank interventions are not only limited to Mozambique but also impact on neighboring countries namely Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia, and Tanzania for a better regional integration.
- The Bank coordinates its activities with other partners through development partners working groups, which are currently the main aid coordination and harmonization forums in Mozambique.
- The Bank plays a major role in the sector, considering its transport portfolio and past experience as working group leader and ensures that its operations achieves complementarities with those of other donors, mainly through engagement in sector-wide planning and prioritization (PRISE).
The services to be provided under the assignment include:
- Under the authority of the Country Manager in consultation with the Country Program Officer and direct supervision of the Transport Task Manager, he/she will use analytical skills and knowledge to support the operational work of the Country Office in Mozambique (COMZ) with particular focus on Transport infrastructure development and regional integration.
- The Consultant will make contributions to the loan and off-loan operations and to analytical activities.
- Will provide support to research, information collection and also to a regular reporting on the impact of operations in terms of development, relying in particular on indicators from the logical framework matrices of operations, the progress compared to the five priorities of the Bank (“High Fives”) operational strategies.
- Therefore, the objectives and key activities are related to Transport and other Infrastructure Sector, Analysis and Programming, Project Implementation and Supervision, and Aid-Coordination, as follows:
- Supporting Transport TMs in business development, delivery of the lending programme, program implementation, preparation of project documents through preparation and presentation of quantitative analysis and background documents.
- Supporting M&E of the transport portfolio by gathering data for mid-term reviews, project completion and implementation progress reports.
- Support organization of missions and programme related events, such as launching, effectiveness, implementation, closure of projects.
- Provide assistance to the transport TM in the implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes / projects, etc.; assist in the monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Provide support to TMs and management through preparation and editing of presentations, quarterly reports, Aid Memoires, IPRs, PCRs, project designs and other relevant documents.
- Propose and contribute reports to studies and assessments of ongoing operations and carry out research and data collection for production of knowledge products and analysis for the relevant sector.
- Support transport TM participation in aid coordination activities with bilateral and multilateral donors, in the relevant sectoral donor working groups (in particular Transport , Water & Sanitation).
- Review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow- up actions;
- Provide assistance to TM and management in the scheduling of meetings and the organization of conferences and workshops, handling both the logistics and conceptual aspects.
- Support the Transport Officer in outreach activities; drafting presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Prepare briefs, meeting briefs and other reporting documents to inform managerial decision.
- He/ She will generally report to the Country Manager and will be under the technical guidance of the designated TM, who will adequately brief, guide on a daily basis and undertake a performance evaluation.
Specific Tasks & Deliverables
In the framework of the COMZ 2023 Annual Work Plan, in the above context under supervision of the TM the consultant will be expected to deliver on the following key tasks:
- Provide support to project management to transport portfolio projects and to the Executing Agency in all necessary ways.
- Identify project risks or issues and manage or escalate where appropriate, provide any project forecast information.
- Develop and implement risk mitigation strategies affecting transport sector projects, procurement slippages, slow disbursement.
- Develop or improve ongoing portfolio monitoring tool focusing on soft component of transport portfolio projects (capacity development programs) , regularly engage with key project stakeholders to build capacity across all projects.
- Plan and track project timelines and milestones, (disbursement deadlines, contract deadlines, special accounts etc.).
Duration of the Assignment:
- The assignment will be for eight (8) months with possibility of renewal, subject to satisfactory performance. For the entire duration of the assignment, the junior consultant shall be physically present at the Bank’s offices in Maputo, Mozambique.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- The consultant must hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Transport, Infrastructure Project Design/ Management or other relevant fields and related disciplines.
- A national of the Bank’s Regional Member Country (RMC).
- Less than 32 years of age.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience are necessary for this position and maximum of four (4) years working experience, with prior experience both in Africa, and preferably in Mozambique.
- In addition, substantial value will be given to professional experience related to professionals that have prior International Financial Institutions (IFIs) and Multilateral or Bilateral Agencies;
- Demonstrated strong analytical and organizational skills, with the ability to deliver results on time.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively preferably in both working languages of the Bank Group, French and English, and capacity to handle discussions with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team of staff from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Solid analytical qualifications, coordination capacities, organizational skills.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills.
- The Consultants will be paid a competitive monthly lump sum for the entire period in accordance with Bank’s remuneration guidelines for Junior Consultants and commensurate to the years of relevant experience.
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest to: Aaron MWILA via: firstname.lastname@example.org and Patricia BAPTISTA via: email@example.com using “EOI Individual Consultant – Egypt Water Desalination Projects Technical Expert” as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
Note: Any questions and requests for clarifications may be sent to: Aaron MWILA via email:
firstname.lastname@example.org and Patricia BAPTISTA via: email@example.com