African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We invite suitably qualified candidates to indicate their interest in joining the Department in the capacity below:
Job Title: EOI – Institutional and Initiative Delivery Analyst (Junior Consultant) for the African Pharmaceutical Technology Foundation (APTF)
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
- The Office of the President of the African Development Bank Group seeks to procure the services of an Institutional and Initiative Delivery Analyst (junior consultant), to provide research, analytical and logistical support and assistance on the African Pharmaceutical Technology Foundation (APTF) initiative.
- Africa today continues to struggle to cope with increasing pharmaceutical demand, and the burden of the pandemic on public health budgets, have been left to the mercy of the market, unable to source drugs at reasonable prices and/or within needed timelines to secure the health of African people.
- The current situation brings together several issues that have been seething under the surface on pharmaceuticals innovation and access to medicines for several decades, raising complex questions on finance, technology and capacity.
- The Bank is a key partner in both endeavors in the region, with the Pharmaceutical Production Strategy of the Bank seeking to invest 3 billion USD in pharmaceutical production in Africa by 2030.
- The Bank is also proposing to seed the African Pharmaceutical Technology Foundation (APTF) as an independent Africa-based foundation to tackle the questions related to technology access in the region.
- These efforts are well calibrated with the industrialization objectives laid out in the Bank’s five pillar strategy, seeking to assist African companies to expand their pharmaceutical and vaccine manufacturing capacities (Covid-19 and beyond).
- Based on the demands of the region’s countries and overarching African Union (AU) strategies, added value is created in terms of development policy in the areas of qualified employment, technology transfers, strengthened local/ regional structures for the prevention of pandemics and epidemics, among others.
- To assist the Bank to strengthen its impact, an in-depth analysis of policies and procedures to make sound recommendations and implement the strategic vision of the President is essential.
- The Institutional and Initiatives Delivery Analyst on Pharmaceuticals and Health in the Office of the President will provide analytical and intellectual support to the APTF initiative.
- The Analyst’s primary function is to provide quality and relevant information in the assessment of the initiative.
- The Analyst will be expected to assist the Senior Advisor on Pharmaceuticals and Health of the President, and the Senior Cabinet Team in the provision of strong, well-researched and evidencebased information for quality decisions.
- In addition, the Consultant is expected to recommend policy amendments that will improve the outlook of the Bank, based on current best practices.
Working closely under the supervision of the Special Adviser to the President on Pharmaceuticals and Health, the Analyst will:
- Work extensively on the APTF as part of a multi-unit operational team in the President’s Cabinet;
- oordinate and provide assistance with Cabinet’s work program on the APTF, including coordinating meetings, events, seminars, fund raising initiatives, internal projects and any other tasks as assigned in Cabinet meetings;
- Assist with technical information gathering, research and funding proposals generation as required for the work areas of the APTF;
- Assist with the promotion branding of APTF, recalling that the President has tasked the Senior Advisor to profile the APTF and to own the intellectual space in the area;
- Arrange and undertake missions to support the President and work programs as necessary;
- Provide support on additional special initiatives concerning industrialization including:
- Other areas of work on pharmaceuticals, healthcare or industrialization as they relate broadly.
- Operational work on the AITAP initiative (the African Industrialization and Transformation Perspective).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s Degree (but a doctorate is desirable) in Development Economics, Development Studies, Law, Public Health or other Social Science discipline;
- 2 – 4 years of relevant professional experience.
- Be under 32 years old.
- In-depth knowledge of the global pharmaceutical sector, and public health.;
- Strong knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries;
- Strong knowledge intellectual property and innovation issues in the global pharmaceutical sector; and
- Good drafting and analytical skills.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstration of good knowledge of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral and multilateral development agencies;
- Good operation experience in the Bank, with broad skills in operation evaluations, stakeholder engagement, and with strong analytical skills in the assessment of institutional capacities and projects implementation;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, coordination and communication skills;
- Integrity, and ability to work under pressure to deliver timely and quality services;
- Ability to work accurately, methodically and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently, or within a team; with demonstrated mature sense of judgment;
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, and preferably with a working knowledge of the other language; and
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (word, Excel, Access and Power point).
Duration of the Assignment
- The assignment will be for six months (6 months) with the possibility of renewal based on budget availability, the consultant’s performance, and the recommendation of the Special Adviser to the President for Pharmaceuticals and Health through the Director General of the Cabinet Office of the President.
The remuneration will be based on the junior consultant’s experience and the Bank’s guidelines on individual junior consultant’s remuneration.
Application Closing Date
Friday; 17th March, 2023 (17:00 GMT).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest for the attention of “Ms. Bonita Freeman, Cabinet Office of the President, African Development Bank,
Côte d’Ivoire” via: firstname.lastname@example.org using “EOI – Institutional and Initiative Delivery Analyst (Junior Consultant) for the African Pharmaceutical Technology Foundation (APTF)” as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)