African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Climate Investment Funds – Gender Expert – PECG
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Job family: Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) hereby invites individual Consultants to indicate their interest for the Climate Investment Funds (CIF)–Gender Expert
- The primary purpose of the assignment is to support to the CIF Coordination Unit, with the responsibilities; Raise awareness across the Bank and ensure the priority the Bank attaches to gender equality is understood and collectively shared across the departments; Support in coordinating the Bank’s participation in gender-related Energy and Climate Change activities internally and externally; Support the advantageous positioning and influence in Regional Member Countries (RMCs), policy reforms and other related networks with influence on women’s economic empowerment and participation in the AfDB’s engagement with financing for climate change adaptation and mitigation; Contribute to mainstreaming gender targets in country NDC implementation processes in RMCs;
- Provide support on routine assignments on climate change, and relevant gender-related technical inputs for the proposals/documents being prepared by the department as required;
- As necessary, undertake field visits and meetings with relevant stakeholders including government officials, development partners, and others, to document best practices;
- Support in developing mutually reinforcing partnerships within and outside the Bank as related to gender, energy and climate change;
- Conduct policy analysis and research;
- Prepare the gender-related events happening under the COPs and major climate change events in which the Bank is involved;
- Engage with the gender department and with other gender colleagues as required; Engage with the communication specialist for outreach activity; and Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor in PECG1
- The Bank invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-described services. Interested eligible individuals Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience through an updated CV while demonstrating their ability to successfully provide the services(documentation, references for similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.)
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a shortlist, and the selection procedures shall be in conformity with Presidential Directive No07/2022 concerning the Procedures for Acquisition of Consulting Services funded by the Administrative or Capital Expenditure Budget of the Bank Group and its Implementation Manual. Please note that interest expressed by an individual consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include that individual Consultant in the shortlist.
- The assignment is expected to last for a period non exceeding 12 months and the estimated starting month is June 2023incase of need, Interested Individual Consultants may obtain additional information by contacting the email addresses below during the Bank’s working days, from 09:00 to 17:00 hours.
The candidate should at least have:
- A Master’s Degree in Gender Studies, International Development, Economics or related fields;
- Experience in working on women’s economic empowerment and gender equality topics on the African continent;
- Experience in working on entrepreneurship development, business and trade finance and a good understanding of gender lens and climate financing;
- Experience in working in climate change funds applying a gender perspective;
- An effective and holistic understanding of regional social issues and knowledge of the practices of the development agencies of the main bilateral and multilateral partners on sovereign and non-sovereign operations;
Application Closing Date
28th March, 2023. at 17:00. Abidjan Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application for the attention of Phillips Gareth, PECG: G.PHILLIPS@AFDB.ORG with a copy to: K.GIZAW@AFDB.ORG and B.AYISSI@AFDB.ORG specifically mention “Climate Investment Funds – Gender Expert” as the subject of the mail.
Establishment of the ShortList
A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume
- Level of education in general 20%
- Educational level compared to the field of mission 20%
- Years of experience in general 20%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission 40%
- Expressions of interest must be delivered via email to the addresses below no later than March 28, 2023, at 17:00 Abidjan local time and specifically mention “Climate Investment Funds – Gender Expert”.