African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) – Environmental and Social Consultants for IRM
Location: Home based
Compliance Review Roster of international experts – IRM
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Job family: Other
- The Independent Recourse Mechanism (IRM) of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) wishes to select a list of 5-10 pre-qualified individual Environmental and Social International Consultants to integrate the Roster of Experts for the IRM Compliance Review function. The consultants will be part of a list of selected experts available to start at any time, subject to their availability and specific technical expertise, a compliance review with the IRM team on a case-by-case basis.
- The IRM is an independent accountability instrument established by the Boards of Directors of the AfDB to provide people adversely affected by Bank-financed operations with an independent complaints mechanism through which they can seek redress and hold the bank to account to respect its policies and procedures related to sustainability.
- The complaints are handled through compliance review (investigation) and/or problem-solving (mediation). The purpose of a Compliance Review is to examine whether the Bank Group has complied with its policies and procedures applicable to the concerned project/operation and, in cases of non-compliance, whether such non-compliance has caused or may cause harm to the Complainants and/or the environment.
- The international experts will be members of the IRM Compliance Review Roster of Experts, and they will be contacted on an individual basis when a compliance review is going to be performed and upon the particular environmental or social expertise needed for the specific complaint and the availability of the most suitable candidate(s) for the assignment.
- The general objective of an expert assignment to a Compliance Review is to assist the IRM to conduct investigation of a specific AfDB-financed project, through an independent, objective and impartial technical analysis of said project in the aspects related to the expertise of the selected consultant from the IRM Roster.
- The investigation will be conducted in accordance with IRM rules 2021 and the eligibility report and TORs for the specific investigation, and in the timeframe agreed between the successful consultant and the IRM.
Counting on strong environmental and/or social technical expertise, compliance review competencies and analytical and writing skills, Consultant shall be ready to be called upon at any time to perform the following general activities within a compliance review process:
- Review and analysis of the case documentation provided, including the original complaint, project documents and others, in view of the requirements of the applicable AfDB policies.
- Preparation of an investigation work plan to be agreed with the IRM based on the TORs for thecompliance review included in the eligibility assessment report.
- Participation in virtual meetings with the project team, complainants and other relevant stakeholders during the investigation as needed.
- Preparation and participation in a field visit together with IRM team members for the purposes of gathering information and evidence and to conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders, particularly complainants, Bank staff, and members of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
- Documentation of the investigation process.
- Presentation to the IRM of findings and clarifications of technical aspects in a draft compliance review report, including recommendations to bring the project back to compliance if noncompliance is found, to provide remedy, or to improve systemic, policy implementation or procedures’ issues identified in the process.
- At least a Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as Sociology, Social Science, Anthropology, Project Development, Environmental Science, Law, or related humanities field or a combination of related or equivalent studies.
- At least fifteen (15) years of practical professional experience in policy review and/or development projects planning and implementation, handling environmental and social problems in development and projects in both public and private sectors, particularly in Africa, including compliance with good international practice standards and environmental and social safeguards.
- Significant expertise and experience in environmental and/or social development particularly in areas such as: involuntary resettlement, economic displacement, stakeholders’ engagement, environmental and social impact assessment, indigenous rights, gender issues including genderdifferentiated impacts assessment,GBV and SEAH; labor rights, and occupational health and safety; climate change and sustainable development, biodiversity, food and water security, human rights due diligence, LGBTQ+ and development, fragile and conflict-affected situations/countries in Africa.
- Significant experience and knowledge of AfDB or/and other multilateral development banks’ (MDB) safeguard policies and procedures.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to facilitate effective interaction internally with the Bank Management and staff, and externally with people adversely affected by projects funded by the Bank Group, borrowers, clients, other international institutions, and civil society organizations.
- Good knowledge of and/or experience with the operations of multilateral development banks or international financing institutions.
- Excellent analytical skills and relevant track record of work and demonstrated integrity and ability to act independently.
- Outstanding ability to write high-quality reports that provide objective accurate information from analyzed multiple-source documentation to present sound evidence-based conclusions.
- Work experience with Independent Accountability Mechanisms of MDBs will be an added advantage.
- Excellent command of both oral and written French and/or English. Fluency in Arabic, Portuguese, Kiswahili or other languages of the African region would be an asset.
- Excellent computer skills.
Contract Type and Duration
- Belonging to the Roster of Experts does not imply any contractual right or obligation between the IRM/AfDB and the consultants, nor is any assignment expected from the consultant until they are called to participate in a compliance review. In such a case IRM will send to the most suitable candidate, based on the necessary technical expertise for the case, the TORs specific to the particular investigation and request a technical and financial proposal at that time.
- The selected consultants will be part of the Roster of Experts for a 2-year period. After that time IRM shall review the list of experts and determine whether to extend the period or open a new call to recruit new consultants according to the needs of the mechanism and the outcomes of the experience of the investigations conducted.
- Being part of the Roster does not imply that the consultant will necessarily be called upon to participate in any investigation.
- If called upon to participate in an investigation, the consultant will work on a home-based basis.
- The consultant is expected to undertake travels to project/complainants’ locations according to the TORs for the specific investigations.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2023 at 6:00 pm GMT.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest specifically mentioning “Recruitment of Environmental and Social Consultants for IRM Compliance Review Roster of international experts” for the attention of: Arantxa Villanueva by e-mail to: email@example.com with copy to: Mascet Josiane GNALI: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
Establishment of the list of the Pool of International Consultants
- A shortlist of individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest. The applications will be rated as follows:
- General experience in environmental and social management (10%)
- Specific experience in compliance review assignments (30%)
- Experience of E&S in operations (30%)
- Experience with MDBs and/or Independent Accountability Mechanisms/ or equivalent type of organization/role (15%)
- Interviews will be held with shortlisted candidates.